1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teacher of Maths Career Progression Help

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by cookiemonster611, Apr 26, 2018.

1. cookiemonster611

cookiemonster611 New commenter

I am a maths teacher with 8 years experience, working in schools and also in a college (A-level maths/GCSE maths). When I got into teaching many years ago I was content in just being a class teacher but as time has moved on I feel things are getting repetitive and I need a new and different challenge (Head of a Key stage, 2nd in dept or HoD).

There does not seem to be any positions available to progress at my current place and it does not seem the situation is going to change anytime soon? I know I shall have to move on in order for me to progress but I have not been at my current place long enough for me to move on (1.5 years in the summer).

This year I have only been given KS3 and GCSE foundation classes which I now can teach with my eyes closed- there is no challenge, hence I am finding things to do such as fine-tuning my resources, trying new techniques in the classroom and working on my subject knowledge to keep me ticking. I would love to get back into teaching GCSE Higher and also the A-level.

I have not taught the AS/A level for about 5 years now and I do not feel confidant standing in front of an AS/A level class anymore. Therefore, I enrolled myself onto an AS class in the evening at my local college to see good teaching practice and also to boost up my subject knowledge but the sessions have been haywire over the course of the year to say the least- The poor tutor has mega issues with his subject knowledge, and that is just the beginning !!!

I feel I have tried everything possible up until now.

My questions:

How long is a good amount of time to stay at a place before you should consider moving on?
    What is the best way to get my confidence back into teaching AS?A level?
    What should be my next logical step forward? Of course I can not jump straight up to HoD, or could I?
    Would anybody consider moving into a consultant role? If so how would I go about doing this?

I would appreciate any help!

Many thanks in advance.