1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teacher of Art considering moving to Portugal Advice needed

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by kim elder, Oct 24, 2009.

1. 2nd Year Teacher of Art considering moving to Portugal at some point in next five years, what do I need to do ? Where do I start? Any advice helpful.

2. missmunchie

missmunchie New commenter

Set up a TES jobs alert for art teacher posts in Portugal to begin with. This will let you know when jobs come up and you can see if there's a pattern, same school looking to fill the same post etc. Try Hays agency as well as some schools use agencies to fill posts. Or do a google search for International schools in Portugal and check out the employment section.
    Go to evening or conversation classes to learn Portuguese in the mean time. I went to Spanish classes before moving to Spain and found this really useful.
    Be aware that teaching salaries in Spain and Portugal are fairly low and you will probably make just enough money to get by on. Good luck!

3. the hippo

the hippo Established commenter Community helper

Elsewhere on this forum you can read all about the horrors of teaching in Portugal, being abused by the Director and having to share accommodation. Good luck? You'll need it.

4. miketribe

miketribe Occasional commenter

That's a bit harsh, Hippo. There are some good schools in Portugal where the SMTs are trustworthy -- relatively -- and the teachers -- generally -- happy. Miss Munchie's right, though. The pay is low...

5. SMT dude

SMT dude New commenter

The old song tells us which glorious substance hippos wallow in.
    This one has been thrashing around in its putrid mud bath, lobbing fistfuls of the brown stuff at a whole region just because of an experience some years ago at a school named after a humble desktop item which has changed completely, and for the better, in recent months.
    I usually prefer not to comment on Portugal as I have friends and spend holidays there - conflict of interest and all that - but will make an exception to offer the OP some hard facts as opposed to runny, squelchy hippo-manure.
    Reading from North to South, there are two schools which might hire a British-qualified Art teacher in Porto; one in Braga; three in Lisbon, and three in the Algarve. They would all tend to advertise in the TES, whose name be praised, from February to May.
    Be aware, however, that Art is one subject where an International school will often go for bilingual locals with useful connections to the national Art scene. But at least three of the above schools have recently hired Art teachers from outside the country.
    At one Lisbon outfit where I know several of the staff, a teacher with three years' experience and no additional points of responsibility would earn a gross monthly salary of €2,685 payable 14 times per annum (double helpings in June and December). In addition, a rent allowance of €860, paid 12 times a year. Teachers find their own accommodation, and while they are free to cohabit with whomsoever they wish, the practice is not obligatory. A €70 lunch allowance is paid 11 times annually. This is a tax dodge - there is also a free school lunch.
    Once the State has taken its cut of the first two elements above, via income tax and pension contributions (you'll see the latter again one day, if you and global capitalism survive that long) the monthly wad in your purse will amount to some €2,350. That's currently around €2,000, but of course no international school will offer guarantees regarding exchange rates.
    After three years, local law makes you a permanent employee, unsackable unless discovered setting fire to the building while simultaneously abusing a student. That's the good news: the bad news is that the rent allowance goes down 25% per annum thereafter, the teacher becoming a 'local' hire. Some teachers stay three years, others settle down for ever. There are reasonable professional development opportunities, and many positions of responsibility carrying additional remuneration.
    All of the above will vary from school to school, and the cost of living and accommodation is high in Lisbon, lower elsewhere. Portuguese students, by and large, are friendly and want to learn. These schools will also have a greater or smaller British and International element, the Brits coming from all backgrounds.
    SMT are erratic, incompetent, unhelpful and overpaid - but that's a universal rather than local circumstance as you already know.
    Hope this helps.

6. SMT dude

SMT dude New commenter

Sorry, a typo up there: 2,350 EUROS is of course currently around 2,000 POUNDS.
    And I forgot to mention that if you are hired from the UK and are blessed with children, the international schools will find places for them either gratis or for a token fee.