1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teacher makes 5 year old partially continent child wipe up her own urine

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by polyglossy, Jan 26, 2012.

1. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2092204/Parents-fury-5-year-old-daughter-bravely-battled-brain-cancer-forced-clean-wetting-classroom.html?ITO=1490

What do you think of this incident? I was amazed, on the assumption that the report is largely accurate, that my wife, an EYFS teacher, didn't find it inexcusable. I understand all her considerations of: who else is going to clean up, why isn't the child in incontinence pants, why doesn't she have some special provision, what else had the teacher to cope with that day? But in the end, if someone has to "suffer", it has to be the adult, not the child. What kind of person can make a child clean up her urine, never mind in front of her schoolmates? One may not want to do it, but it is hardly a humiliation for an adult to do so, and schools should have other provision. But my wife accepts it as part of a primary teacher's job to change wet pants, wipe bottoms etc, so I don't know how she has become so desensitized as not immediately to think "poor child" as she would in other circumstances.

I'm 70, but I can still see from when I was nearly 7, a classmate raise his hand and walk out to the teacher's desk, asking to "be excused". She told him to stand there, and in less than two minutes a brown sludge began to appear from one of his long short-trouser legs while the tears rolled down his cheeks. Of course, I had no idea what had been in the teacher's head, but perhaps she ought to have recognized - in those days when you did nothing without permission - that getting up and walking over to her indicated urgency; all I knew was that she had done this to him, and I was horrified. I thought this only happened to babies and now had to recognize that it could be made to happen to me. I was so relieved [Oh, unintended pun :- ) ] when I moved to another school at the end of term.

2. Leapyearbaby64

Leapyearbaby64 New commenter

If it's true (and the quote is from the DM) then I think the teacher acted very inappropriately.

3. Msz

Msz Established commenter

I'm pleased I'm not the only one to consider my response due to the source of the information ... good old DM [​IMG] if it is accurate then the teacher perhaps isn't cut out for teaching young children who have naturally have occasional accidents

4. Even if the child hadn't so bravely fought for her life, to make a child clean up their own accident is wrong, totally wrong. The child has no concept of health and safety in this housekeeping routine, and so is exposed to unnecessary risks. My own daughter (who is five next week) would have been totally distraught and doing such a thing would Im sure have a negative impact on self-esteem let alone her future attitude to learning and the school envrionment.
    Poor cherub, I have never and will never put a child through this! That teacher is ebing paid to educate AND CARE for that child! grrrr!

5. This post (41 by jubilee) from the thread I've just referred to seems to sum it up well. It also suggests some double standards if a Council is insisting on this in its Soc Services dept but not in Schools. And Teacher Unions seem to be as supine as usual in the matter.

In 1995, when I worked for Social services, the child from one of our client families started school unable to control his bowels. After a week of him soiling every afternoon, the school removed his afternoon session and the boy came back to our Family Centre from lunch break for at least a year.

Teachers cannot be in charge of the pupils in a class AND be in the toilet block changing nappies. Perhaps there should be a changing table next to the teacher's desk!

Children with specific medical needs will have a personal care assistant in school; all others should be dealt with by a parent or their nominated adult if they are wetting/soiling simply through not having been trained.I see no reason why the parents of a child between the ages of 4 and 5 in Mainstream school cannot be told that the place is unavailable until the child is out of nappies and free from all but the occasional accident. Schooling is not compulsory until children reach 5 years of age, so getting a place should not be a foregone conclusion.

If the child reaches 5 yrs and is still not dry and/or clean, the parents can be told to educate their child at home. I bet that the only subject on their curriculum would be toilet training!

In the Social Services family Centre, all staff who were required to change nappies had to have specific training. It might seem a nonsense, especially when many of them had children of their own but you never know whether a child temporarily in your care has a communicable disease (HEPATITIS, HIV etc) and strict procedures need to be followed, with proper facilities and equipment (disposable aprons and gloves and even face masks (in case boys wee in your face as they're being changed). That all takes time: who is watching the class and teaching them whilst the teacher is acting as a nursing auxiliary?

Staff were also advised to be innoculated against Hepatitis B.

It's not a simple matter of feeling compassion for the child and cleaning them up.