1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

teacher left class to go to shop for resources during lesson time

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by fulloffun, May 27, 2011.

1. fulloffun

fulloffun New commenter

has this ever happened in your school? where does it say that you can't do this? I know this is wrong and I said as much.She had left TA in charge?...

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I'm not sure it has, but certainly TAs have nipped out for urgently need resources in lesson time. Can't see the difference really in terms of pupil safety and the like.

It isn't something I'd be overly impressed with seeing, but isn't a major issue as a one off.

3. YesMrBronson

YesMrBronson New commenter

Send the kids to the shops instead.

4. Tom_Bennett

Tom_Bennett Occasional commenter

Can't. They kept getting carded, so now I buy my own scotch.
    http://behaviourguru.blogspot.com/

5. Slight issue of teacher having 'duty of care' and TAs not being allowed to supervise whole classes, I believe.
    A lot can happen even if the teacher takes his/her eyes off the class for a few minutes, let alone going off to the shops!

6. Yes I agree - absolutely. But if something 'happened' in a classroom, it would come down to the teacher in charge who should have been supervising them.
    At lunchtime it is a more fluid arrangement with midday supervisors supposedly 'supervising'... and I really don't believe they would be held to account as much as the teacher in the classroom would be.