1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

teacher leaving student on own

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by NQT08, Jan 12, 2016.

1. NQT08

NQT08 Occasional commenter

At what point during an 8 week block placement for a 2nd year student would a teacher 'usually' begin to leave the student to teach the class on their own?
    I understand that this would vary depending on the confidence of the student, the class and the school but I was looking for a rough idea.

2. sofia_sen

sofia_sen Occasional commenter

As a school direct salaried student teacher I was left alone for short periods of times (max half a day) from the 2nd week onwards. There was another teacher (not the class teacher) acting as a TA, just in case something would go wrong.

If we get PGCE students in they also usually start leading from their second week but I believe the ones we are getting are usually in their final placement.

I am getting a PGCE student in next week for 1 week (they are doing some SEN awareness project) and I think I will leave it up to her if she would like to observe, assist or lead a session.