1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teacher Governor

Discussion in 'Governors' started by thfc125, Mar 8, 2008.

1. There is a space available for a teacher governor at my school.I was just wondering if a person needs to be nominated by 2 teachers(since it is for a teacher representative) or can a TA nominate a teacher.

Thanks.

2. trinity0097

trinity0097 New commenter

I thuink it can be any staff member, as there is no such classification of governor as teacher governor. Instead they are staff governors.

3. We have a staff governor who is for support staff and a teacher one.

4. trinity0097

I still think that any staff person can nominate though for either.

If you're thinking of standing for election as a teacher governor and can only find one other teacher to support your application, then if it came to an election what woudl you do!!!!

5. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Lead commenter Forum guide

Guide to the Law for School Governors says about Staff Governors:

9. Both teaching and support staff paid to work at the school are eligible for staff governorship. Staff governors are elected by the school staff and must be paid to work at the school; volunteers are ineligible. Any election that is contested must be held by ballot.
    10. At least one staff governor (in addition to the headteacher ? see paragraph 11) must be a teacher, but if no teacher stands for election, a member of the support staff can be elected to take that place. If a governing body has three or more staff governor places, at least one staff governor must be a member of the support staff, but if no member of the support staff stands for election, a teacher can be elected to take that place.

The Guide says nothing about the procedure for being nominated to be a Staff Governor, but later on it says regarding election of the Chair "There are no regulations prescribing the election process as it is believed that governing bodies are best placed to decide how to organise this, but those standing for election should withdraw from the meeting when a vote is taken." Presumably this applies to electing Staff Governors as well. So the short answer is to ask Chair or Clerk what procedure for electing governors has your Governing Body adopted?

6. Thanks for all your help.

7. trinity0097

Electing the chair is a different process to electing a governor. Electing a governor is through a ballot of all eligible to stand for the position (e.g. all parents vote for parent governors)

A chair is already a governor and is elected from the pool of governors, who are the only people allowed to vote. Some do it via a show of hands, or ballot slips, whilst the chair is meant to leave.

8. Rott Weiler

I agree, my point was only to illustrate that the regulations don't prescribe in enormous detail exactly how nominations, elections and voting must take place. The GB can decide that for itself, for which we can be grateful given the government's tendency to try to micro-manage everything else in schools!

9. Rott Weiler

...and to correct myself before someone else does, I meant to say you should check with the headteacher (not clerk/chair) the agreed procedures for nomination/elction of staff governors as usually responsibility for election of staff governors is delegated to the head.

10. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Lead commenter

The board of directors for whom you will be working will all be fully qualified pilots will they? Even the accountants?

11. Rott Weiler

Welcome aircrew to governors' forum for your first post (and presumbly last - I imagine an aircrew forum is going to get to benefit of your valuable insights in future).
    Ranting is what online forums are (partly) for, but it is conventional to rant about the people who are actually responsible for whatever it is that has hacked you off about being a teecher. Your rants don't appear to be much to do with school governance but are mainly about heads and government policy and inspections so I'm not sure why it's governors who have driven you out of the profession. Did you have an an unpleasant experience with a governor in the stock cupboard or something? It's all a bit of a puzzle.
    As far as I can make out you don't want to to be a teecher any longer because
    (1) A bunch of amateur do-gooders who just happen to like schools have told you how to do your job
    (2) They've also inspected you
    (3) They've also decided you pay and promotion
    (4) You've been expected to "consult" widely (I assume you mean as a teecher governor?)
    (5) Staff governors are "too often" required to leave meetings
    Your spell as a Staff Governor (there's no such post as a "teecher governor") doesn't seem to have taught you much about a governing body's role and responsibilites. (1) and (2) are never a governors responsibility, nor is (3) likely to be unless you in the Leadership Group. (4) isn't an invention of GBs nor imposed by them. It's a legal requirement for all GBs to consult on many matters (especially employment related ones). (5) It's a legal requirement for any governor to withdraw if they have a potential conflict of interest, Staff Governors inevitably tend to have these more often than other governors. Obviously I cannot know how the law has been interpreted and applied in your GB, but if you thought it was being applied wrongly there were easier and quicker routes to raise your concern than retraining as a pilot.
    I don't agree with you that teachers alone should run schools anymore than I think police constables should run the police or soldiers decide the country's military strategy, and if you think pilots run airlines you are going to be sadly disappopinted in September.
    Your analogy with a committee of passengers is curious and wrong. Your hypothetical committee of passengers would be analagous to a committee of your pupils telling you what to do. If you're looking for an analogy for a governing body the board of directors of your airline would be closer. I think that you will find that (a) the board will hold you to account if necessary, (b) they will decide your pay and promotion, and (c) they will mostly not be pilots (AFAIK neither Michael O'Leary nor Stelios nor Willie Walsh could fly a plane even if their lives depended on it).

You are simply wrong to assert that
    Governors are <u>not</u> entitled to be paid, and I expect all the governors sitting there of an evening were giving up their valuable spare time just the same as you were. (I'd agree though that it's totally unacceptable for any GB to run itself so badly that meetings go on until midnight. That's just incompetence.) You talk as if someone forced you to be a teecher governor. No-one did. It's a public office and you asked to hold that office.
    Good luck with the flying. Better paid than teaching, isn't it? And earlier retirement I believe. What will you do if your passeners don't drop to their knees in gratitude to you at the end of each flight? Just wondered.

12. I believe that you are wrong when you compare the Election of a Chair of governors with the election of a teacher or staff governor. Two different things in my opinion.
    A better comparison would be with the election of parent governors.

13. 1. See separate post regarding 'paid leave' etc. by employers to compensate for community work, such as governance.
    2. In that post which referred to regular extremely lengthy meetings, a repeated view was that a teacher can only change these poor working methods from within the governing body.
    Our school governing body is almost totally parents. I have been a parent governor (before training as a teacher). On that governing body most parent governors were (typically) female parents who wanted to be available at home for their children and used governance to fill their needs for what they lost by leaving the workplace. They could definitely be compared with passengers running an aircraft. Same applies in my current school, in which I am now a teacher.
    It is an example of where government aims to bring in expertise to be used for the good of the school is not working, in many (particularly small primary) schools. The chances of having sufficient skilled people who are willing to give their time increases with size of school. Examples from the full spectrum of what is happening in school governance can be used to argue (i) as a perfect example of 'big society' working successfully and, unfortunately (ii) a perfect example of 'big society' not being capable of working. Almost all schools in the primary sector in which I have been involved (I have been an LEA governing body clerk too) fall into the latter.

14. For some reason the words "you are a patronising git" stick in my mind. I can't imagine why. I'm sure you aren't. I hope none of those women governors gave you a good smack.

15. (a patronising git)

Actually, I of course don't think I am. I am female. I have been a parent governor (and a clerk to governing bodies, including for more than 20 primary schools) and that is what I saw, not from some academic theory but from getting to know a wide body of parent governors. As a parent governor myself (then) I wished to get some fulfillment from the role; my paid work then was not sufficiently flexible nor well paid enough for me to meet the needs of my children while working. So I gave up work. Actually, I regularly felt patronised by (and I think did too the female headteacher) the (often male) parent governors who wanted to inject some inappropriate 'sound business sense' into these 'female run' schools.

When teachers (like Aircrew to whom I was responding) feel that they are being run, like an aircraft by its passengers the question has to be asked whether the governing body is fulfilling its role appropriately. And I speak from being a teacher at a school where the governing body repeatedly nit picked LEA policies (formulated in consultation with Unions, LEA legal teams etc.) to such a degree that time ran out and the policies weren't adopted at all. Still, it created work for LEA staff, in working repeatedly to keep the governing body out of court!

16. @knowmanythings
    Why do you continually add multiple spaces at the end of a sentence?
    Did you know that practice went out with typewriters?

You were clerk to the GB in 20+ schools, yet only one of the heads felt patronised?
    I'd call that a result.

When teachers feel they are being run by governors, I'd suggest the problem lies with the head and the teachers, not the the governors.

But now we get to the crux of the matter. The GB repeatedly ignore the unions when formulating policy. Good on ya!

17. Is it relevant that I'm old enough to have used a typewriter? I've used IT proficiently since circa 1980 too. Being irritated by such a thing could be a marker towards autism. But that's not relevant either.
    Formulating policy? There were none! The governing body focussed on micro-management and repeatedly deferred adoption of policies - some of which it was a legal requirement to have in place. Frequent out of court settlements.
    "When teachers feel they are being run by governors, I'd suggest the problem lies with the head and the teachers, not the the governors."
    As a governing body clerk, an e.g. re. an LEA Health and Safety policy, presented for what should have been rubber stamping. 45 mins of opinions by parent governors (some working in schools as classroom assistants/cleaners) discussing where the first aid box should be kept in school. When I, as clerk, diplomatically pointed out to the chair that this was a decision which could, perhaps, be delegated to the headteacher, the response was something like "We care about the children at this school! "
    As an NQT interviewee: being interviewed by a governor who had a typed slip of paper with a question written on it. Governor clearly struggling to read the (fairly simple) question. I took this to be clever management by the headteacher: showing prospective staff the quality of governance.
    These are not unusual situations in primary school governing bodies. Of course I do not know how far these issues are generalised geographically. I wonder where Aircrew works.

18. It might be !

Personally, I'd say thats a matter of opinion.

And what reaction was that? Did they do as any competent person would do and say forcefully and directly - "Please stop patronising me. I don't patronise you, so there's no need for you to patronise me."

Such a reaction is usually sufficient to stop such behaviour in its tracks. On the other hand, if that wasn't the reaction, there are a couple of possible reasons why.
    1. Perhaps they didn't feel patronised
    2. Perhaps Ofsted got it wrong and they weren't great leaders

If 1. is a possibility, it is possible that what you saw as patronising, the head didn't. OTOH, if the Head did see it as patronising and allowed it to continue, maybe they werent such a great head after all?

Sounds like you had a **** chair, and perhaps a **** bunch of governors as well. Or perhaps it was just that they didnt have much respect for your advice or opinions.

How do you know?