1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teacher governor needed?

Discussion in 'Governors' started by addled13, Mar 14, 2016.

1. addled13

addled13 New commenter

I hope someone can advise me please. I work in a secondary school and I was under the impression that there needs to be at least one teacher governor and staff governor. I have been told that as the headteacher is the teacher governor there is no need to have another teacher governor. Is this correct please? School is not an academy.

2. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

If it's a local authority school then what you have been told is probably correct but has been phrased rather misleadingly. Do you mean the Head is a governor and there is also another staff member who is the Staff Governor? If so that is what the law requires. LA schools must have one (elected) staff governor in addition to the headteacher. That staff governor can be either a teaching or a non-teaching staff member. There is no longer any distinction between teachers and support staff in school governance law. The head teacher is a governor ex-officio, it's nothing to do with them being 'the teacher governor'.

3. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

I agree with the above. The law changed and following this our GB reconstituted so that the teacher and staff governors became staff governor. However the person who was teacher governor remains as an associate governor.