1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

teacher governor exclusions

Discussion in 'Governors' started by bsteane, Jan 26, 2011.

1. Does anyone know if teacher governors should be excluded from all meetings about restructuring staffing in the school - when there may be redundancies?

2. Does anyone know if teacher governors should be excluded from all meetings about restructuring staffing in the school - when there may be redundancies?

3. I can't think of any reason why they should be excluded.
    As far as I recall the only reason to exclude is if the item being discussed is one where a governor has a direct pecuniary interest, ie the Head's pay progression.
    Re structuring wouldn't name names.

4. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Lead commenter Forum guide

The requirement is for any governor to withdraw if the have a pecuniary interest directly OR INDIRECTLY in the matter being discussed, but for staff it's qualified by this clause:

"[any governor] who is paid to work at the school shall not be treated as having a direct or indirect pecuniary interest in a contract, proposed contract or other matter by reason only of having an interest in the contract or other matter that is no greater than the interest of the generality of those paid to work at the school."

So it will depend on what is being considered in the restructuring proposals. If eg you are only considering restructuring support staff it wouldn't usually require teacher governors to withdraw. But if the debate was about which teaching departments should be reduced then I'd say it would be right for all teacher governors to leave.

The reference to head's salary discussions in the previous post is a separate issue, not linked to pecunairy interests. (Regulations say that no-one who works at the school can be present at a governors' meeting when the pay or performance of any staff member is being discussed.)

5. I'm not sure I would agree with the bit about teaching depts.
    It might depend. If the staff governors are not from the dept under review why should they withdraw, they would have no greater interest than teachers when support staff numbers were being considered.
    Further it may well be that staff governors would be able to make well informed contributions to the discussions of such matters.

6. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Lead commenter Forum guide

I did say it depends on what is being discussed. What I had in mind was if the Head is saying, for example, 'we need to reduce teaching staff and we can do it either by redundancies in Dept A or Dept B'. If the teacher governor is from Dept A they have an obvious pecuniary interest in the decision, and one that's greater than the generality of all staff in the school.

7. When I was a staff governor I was invvolved in discussions and decisions about the amount of money the head should receive when he "retired" with compromise agreement.

8. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Senior commenter

Really? Very surprising ....

9. I am a staff governor. I am at present involved in a working party looking at the regrading of TAs. I am on the finance and HR committees and when I queried my involvement I was told that as I was on the committee I should be involved.

10. Not, very surprising, pretty much unbelievable!!!