1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teacher getting an admin job?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by ArdethBay, Jul 19, 2011.

1. I'm a full-time college lecturer. I have good academic qualifications (PGCE QTS and a PhD). With redudancies around the corner its possible that my job will become redundant and given the financial climate I doubt if I would find another post-16 teaching position which is what I enjoy. Now that the mortgage is paid I can consider a cut in salary, although I'd want a job with a public sector pension scheme. I was thinking of maybe applying for administative officer/assistant jobs in primary and secondary schools and colleges. What chances would I have of getting an admin job after teaching?

2. I'm a full-time college lecturer. I have good academic qualifications (PGCE QTS and a PhD). With redudancies around the corner its possible that my job will become redundant and given the financial climate I doubt if I would find another post-16 teaching position which is what I enjoy. Now that the mortgage is paid I can consider a cut in salary, although I'd want a job with a public sector pension scheme. I was thinking of maybe applying for administative officer/assistant jobs in primary and secondary schools and colleges. What chances would I have of getting an admin job after teaching?

3. I came out of KS2 teaching in 2007 after my son was born to do something else less demanding while he was small so I could spend my time at home focusing on motherhood instead of marking!
    I went for a variety of jobs including an administrative assistant job at The Open University, and I was first choice candidate over 50+ who were interviewed and even more who applied, because of my good attitude, my education background, the fact that I had a degree and proven communication skills. I enjoyed the job for the time I was there though it did become less and less challenging and I am keen now to get back into teaching if I can.
    I don't doubt that there was a good deal of luck involved in my case but I hope this gives you hope! People in other sectors really do value the transferable skills teachers can offer.

4. There are a variety of admin jobs in schools that keep you in education (and also give you a break from teaching!)

Good luck!

5. Thank you for your replies. I do get the impression that certainly in primary schools, and maybe also in secondary schools, most of the admin staff are female. Does that just reflect who applies for the jobs?

6. Good luck! I have over a decade of industry experience and now I'm an NQT trying to get anything to tide me over. Applying directly and through agencies, I've not even had an interview. I have now been told by a new agent that my CV makes me look over qualified and to 'dumb' it down. I have had to remove all my education back to 'A' Level and rewrite all my work experience to simplify it. It's still all true, it just doesn't have anything on it beyond the job descriptions of 'Admin'.