1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teacher from outside Scotland, how to familiarise self with CfE

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by fivebyfivescotland, Jun 14, 2015.

1. fivebyfivescotland

fivebyfivescotland New commenter

Hello folks,

I am not from Scotland and have spent a good few years down in the primary English system. I have done some reading round CfE and my understanding is that it is far less prescriptive then the English curriculum, with use of the 'Experiences and Outcomes', as opposed to P5 must learn X by X.

It would be much appreciated if you could point me in the right direction of any resources that would be useful to familiarise myself further. Are there any common ways of assessing pupils? Or is it completely up to the school?

Can anyone recommend any organisations to get in touch with to become a bit more familiar with the Scottish curriculum? Would ES or the unions be able to help? Are there any events for teachers to network?

Thank so much in advance!

2. halfajack

halfajack Occasional commenter

I think the Education Scotland website would be your best bet. They have exemplar assessment materials and pupil work (although you may need a glow login).

What you've gathered is correct in theory. It's a different matter in practice and I think you'll find in primary schools it will still be very target driven. For example, I teach English in a Glasgow secondary school and the pupil assessment information which comes to us almost uniformly puts the pupils all at 2s for reading, writing, listening & talking.

Are you living in Scotland? If you can afford the time, it might be worth asking if you can volunteer/shadow teachers at local primaries.