1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teacher for Languages- Can I teach Physical Education?

Discussion in 'Professional development' started by Rovena, Feb 18, 2011.

1. Dear PE educators and teachers,
    I would like to be able to teach PE. I have studied Sports as part of my degree pathway coaching. The other part was in English.
    I am keen to teach PE, athough I am a teacher for MFL. Would I be able able to do that or would I have to do ánother training course? I also did PE A-level.
    Can I just apply at a school? It would be really what I want to teach as well, apart from languages.
    Can anyone help?

2. Dear PE educators and teachers,
    I would like to be able to teach PE. I have studied Sports as part of my degree pathway coaching. The other part was in English.
    I am keen to teach PE, athough I am a teacher for MFL. Would I be able able to do that or would I have to do ánother training course? I also did PE A-level.
    Can I just apply at a school? It would be really what I want to teach as well, apart from languages.
    Can anyone help?

3. You have QTS so you are qualified to teach, you just have to prove you are able to teach PE. The fact that you have studied sports shows your interest and I think now you just need to find a Headteacher that is willing to take you on. If it were me, I would definitely just begin by applying to schools and seeing what happens, see if you get as far as interview and then you get the opportunity to tell them why you want to do it. If that fails, you could build up your experience of teaching PE by asking a supply agency to give you work (when it comes up) for PE and then trying again applying.
    I'm no expert, but hope that helps you think about things a bit. x