1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teacher for languages- Can I teach PE?

Discussion in 'Physical education' started by Rovena, Feb 17, 2011.

1. Dear PE educators,
    I would like to be able to teach PE. I have studied Sports as part of my degree pathway coaching. The other part was in English.
    I am keen to teach PE, athough I am a teacher for MFL. Would I be able able to do that or would I have to do ánother training course? I also did PE A-level.
    Can I just apply at a school? It would be really what I want to teach as well, apart from languages.
    Can anyone help?

2. Dear PE educators,
    I would like to be able to teach PE. I have studied Sports as part of my degree pathway coaching. The other part was in English.
    I am keen to teach PE, athough I am a teacher for MFL. Would I be able able to do that or would I have to do ánother training course? I also did PE A-level.
    Can I just apply at a school? It would be really what I want to teach as well, apart from languages.
    Can anyone help?

3. I think it would depend what each school wants. I have known plenty of schools who have other subject teachers filling in for PE lessons once or twice a week, and this had led to an increase year on year and they have ended up with a split timetable between their own subject and PE. If your degree was part Sport then there doesnt seem to be a problem, I dont think you would have to do another training course.

4. Thank you that is very helpful. I will go for it now!! [​IMG] I really don't mind teaching in two departments.

5. Good luck with your applications. Im not sure you will see many joint PE/MFL jobs advertised however it would be a good thing to have on your CV that you can offer both!

6. very usfull information.

7. gogojonny

gogojonny New commenter

I would think you would have more luck in the independent sector than state.
    Lots of independent teachers teach their subject and then coach games also.
    Many state schools don't do games afternoons and just have 2 PE lessons a week, hence they tend to employ PE trained teachers for these lessons. Indy schools always love staff who can offer games - if you were to apply for a job you would stand out.
    It all depends what you want to do - teach PE or coach games. The difference being that with games (and providing they have been given a choice) the pupils are actually enthusiastic and want to be there.