1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teacher exchange between France and the UK in 2016-2017 (French-English teaching)

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by MelanieSLB, Feb 25, 2016.

1. MelanieSLB

MelanieSLB New commenter

Hello, everyone.

I am a teacher in France, in Normandy, but my partner is British. I love my job in France, but for personal reasons, my partner has to stay in the UK for at least another year. I don’t want to lose my job here, but I want to be with my partner. There is a European exchange program called Jules Verne that allows European teachers to swap jobs for a year. I am therefore looking for somebody who would be interested in swapping schools with me for a year. You and I would still continue employment with our current school, and our pay would still be given by our current school (I am a little fuzzy on how they work the different currency issue, but there would be a convention signed between your school, you, my school and me to deal with all that).

There are two targets to the program:
    - creating links between European schools
    - helping two teachers develop their understanding of another culture/education system.

I am looking at creating an individual exchange program between some pupils at my school and at yours, to provide British and French pupils with the opportunity to experience another school culture for 2 weeks to 3 months in year 12. I am looking at creating links between my higher education students and your year 13 students if they study business, economics, sociology, finance or politics: all these subjects are covered in their program, and I think it would be good if I could develop some kind of scheme for both our pupils to talk about what they learn in those classes to be able to analyse the differences in perspective between the UK and France.

By now, you are probably wondering what my job is and what is in it for you.
    My job is rather specific, and will take some explaining.
    I teach full time (which is a 12-hour week + 3 hours of speaking mock-exam, and believe me, that really is a full-time job because of the specifics of it):
    - I teach English at A-level for 6 hours
    - I also teach for 6 hours in CPGE ECE (that is impossible to translate: it’s two years to prepare three different types of competitive exam in the English subject to enter a business school that will eventually deliver a master’s degree). The three different competitive exams have the same recurring exercises: a translation into English, a translation into French, one or two questions on the understanding of a text about current affairs, and an essay on current British or American (or, more unusually, Commonwealth) current affairs. This is a higher education course.
    The two structures are in one school only.

Well done for reading this far. I apologize to you if you are not a highly experienced fluent French teacher (you have to be fluent if you are to understand the French translation!) who has a good grasp of English and who has a background in international relationships, political science or contemporary history (anything that would make you able to explain current affairs in a non-biased way) and who wants to move abroad to Normandy (Saint-Lô to be precise) for a year. It would be absolutely marvellous if you were also a teacher in the Chepstow/Newport/Bristol area, since it is where my partner works.

The benefits would be for you to develop your understanding of the French education system in a very nice school which is situated in a semi-rural area, and try your hand at higher education teaching (which is a nice intellectual challenge), as well as providing your pupils with an opportunity to get involved in an exchange with French students. It also means you’d enjoy French culture and French food for a year, in a very historically charged region (D-Day beaches, fortresses and abbeys of William the Conqueror, Mont St-Michel, …).

There are also a few other things/benefits to the exchange program that I’ll explain to you in a private conversation if you are interested in the project.

Thank you for reading the whole post, and don’t hesitate to mention the idea to anybody you think might be interested.

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Hullo Melanie.

You might get more response if you posted on the MFL forum, if you are looking to

This forum is for schools that are not in the UK.

Best wishes

3. MelanieSLB

MelanieSLB New commenter

Can I post it in more than one section? Because I am looking for a fellow teacher who wants to come to France for a year and let me go to Britain in their school for a year.

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes, as I have said above.

Just copy what you have written above and post it in MFL.

Best wishes

5. MelanieSLB

MelanieSLB New commenter

Thanks, TheoGriff. I wanted confirmation because on the French teachers' forum that I use, you can only post things in one section, the rest gets deleted, and I am still trying to find my way around this very different site (I still haven't found out how to edit my posts here!).

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Probably because you only have a 6 minute window to edit, then it is sealed.

We certainly don't like it if you post the same thing several times, and if we find that we may indeed delete them if we think that it is inappropriate.

But when you have posted in the wrong place, there's no problem in re-posting. And sometimes it IS appropriate to post in two places for two different audiences.

Off you go!

Best wishes

7. MelanieSLB

MelanieSLB New commenter

Thanks again.

6 minutes is an awfully short time to edit anything. I usually see that I have made a mistake about an hour after making it. Ah well, never mind.