1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teacher Classes for September 2012

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by brighton56, May 25, 2012.

1. brighton56

brighton56 Occasional commenter

Today I gave all my teachers an envelope which told them what year group they would be teaching next year. All the teachers seemed to be OK with the decisions (or so it seems).
    But this Lunchtime two members of staff have come to see me and said they had agreed to swap year groups with each other. NO NO NO! I told them that if they felt strongly about the matter they should submit a letter of request to me and then, only then will I even consider the swap.
    The frustrating thing is if they had come to see me and ASKED if they could swap year groups then I may have said yes. But the fact they think they have the right to just change has made me angry and more likely to decline the request.
    Every member of staff had an interview with me to talk about preferred year groups and responsibilities they would like to have around the school. And to top it off the two year groups are years 3 and 4!!! Not even different key stages or year 6!
    Rant over. Now I suppose I had better go to the hall for break duty.

2. Envelope? Was that necessary? I assume most staff weren't changing classroom. All seems a bit claok and dagger.

3. brighton56

Informing staff using envelopes I felt was necessary for my school. Only teaching staff have been informed of their year groups. Teachers will then have the opportunity to hand in their notice before half term if they wish to move on. The use of the envelopes was to prevent 'nosey' people from finding out information before all class teachers had been informed. Of course I know that gossip travels quickly but at least I know I have been fair when letting teachers know.
    All but one teacher will be moving classrooms at the end of this academic year. It is one way to stop certain staff cluttering up classrooms/cupboards with unnecessary junk. It is also nice for teachers to have a change of scenery.
    I don't believe anything I have done has been unreasonable. Are you a head teacher mrszzz?

4. mychuck

mychuck New commenter

As HT surely you have considered the strengths of all your teachers and decided where they were best placed. I don't feel they can swap - we're not talking about who to buy a secret santa for here, we're talking education.
    Perhaps you should have outlined the staffing structure openly at a staff meeting and the reasons for your placement.

5. 2r2e

2r2e New commenter

mrszz has been very busy on forums today and is clearly not a head. A troll perhaps, albeit an articulate one....

6. Surely you don't need to be either a troll or a head to comment on here? By troll do you mean someone with a contrary view to your own. Enlightening.

7. At our school the Head gathers everyone together in the Staff room sometime in June and announces where everyone will be.
    There is no way that anyone would take it upon themselves to ask to swap with a colleague. We are a two form entry and know that the SMT spend a lot of time trying to match staff with colleagues who will work well together to teach and support the children. One teacher in each year group generally stays where they are and the other moves on to a new year group.
    If as you say you have tried to accomodate people's preferences then those staff members are being very presumptious and not considering the time and effort that goes into allocating staff into year groups. You were right to be irritated, if you let people simply swap around you could end up with a constantly moving staff musical chairs as every single member of staff tries to find their perfect year group.
    Not sure that moving classrooms completely alleviates the build up of junk in cupboards. Staff moving time seems to involve the packing up of a multitude of boxes containing resources that should probably have stayed in the classroom but because that teacher laminated them they become their 'stuff' and will forever languish in a cupboard whilst the new teacher begins the year recreating exactly the same resources.

8. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

Let he who would be a leader be a bridge.

9. How brighton56 decides to communicate with staff is completely up to him/her, and I would assume that the decision to use any particular strategy is considered appropriate to the school and its context. The key issue here is not whether envelopes are appropriate or not, but the teacher's decision to completely undermine the HTs decision regarding where to place teachers. So I agree, brighton56, your colleagues have behaved poorly and I hope you stick to your original decision - not out of spite, but in order to demonstrate that this sort of behaviour is unprofessional and unacceptable. You can't afford to allow people to believe that such tactics can work, and are ok, otherwise you'll be on a slippery slope with other decisions which are at your discretion.

10. Linda555

Linda555 New commenter

Hooray for TG and dizzymai - some common sense and empathy!

11. brighton56

Thank you for all the comments. On reflection I feel I was just a bit angry that the teachers felt it was their 'right' to swap classes.
    I did phone up both teachers and explained the situation. I have agreed to let them swap on this occasion.
    I appreciate your comment dizzymai but I feel that next time I may need to assert my authority. Respect does have to be earned but I also have a right for my decisions to be respected.
    I suppose what frustrates me is I work incredibly long hours to try and run a successful school. I listen to my staff and I try to create a friendly atmosphere but sometimes staff fail to understand the amount of effort that goes into running a school.
    Perhaps there are things I could have done differently with this scenario but everything is a learning curve and I am new to the job.

12. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Excellent! Problem solved - now go and enjoy the garden!
    Best wishes.

13. titus4t

titus4t New commenter

And Mr Griff rises further in my estimation. What a great person to work for you must have been (or maybe still are!)

14. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

[​IMG]
    Just work for TES nowadays, although of course my main employer always has been and still is Mrs TG. Now is it lawn-mowing, garage-tidying or wonky-shelf-repairing that are my Performance Indicators for today?
    Best wishes