1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

teacher calling my child gay

Discussion in 'Personal' started by murph37, Jan 30, 2012.

1. my son was repremanded at school today for pulling faces at his friends in class and the teacher said to him "stop staring at ***** and **** are you gay or something" is it just me or is this highly inappropriate?! i work at a high school and would be in serious trouble if i spoke to a child like that, not that i would in the first place!

2. mandala1

mandala1 Occasional commenter

Are absolutely sure the teacher said that?

3. well so far just going on what my son told me

4. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Therein lies the answer.

5. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Highly inappropriate but you do need to verify what was said.

6. well i do think i should ring the school and question it

7. ShowerGel

ShowerGel Established commenter

The term 'life is too short' springs to mind
    The meaningful phrases
    'How important is it?'
    and
    'Could you not find something more useful do?'
    both also entered my head on reading your post.

8. ah see thats what i love about the tes website the insults

9. ShowerGel

ShowerGel Established commenter

10. dominant_tonic

dominant_tonic Established commenter

Oh that's a relief. I didn't think you liked it here that much, considering your sporadic visits. Welcome back.[​IMG]

11. Oh.
    I never rely on what my son tells me, especially when he is talking of teachers.

12. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Lead commenter

Yeah, right

13. bizent

bizent Star commenter

I take everything my stepson says about school with a pinch of salt.

14. Is **** and ***** some offensive words for genitalia? What was he staring at?

15. veni_vidi

veni_vidi New commenter

Is he Gay?

16. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

I am not sure what answers you expected? As you work in a high school you are obviously aware that such comments from a teacher would be indeed highly inappropriate, and you would also obviously be aware that sometimes kids fib to frame things to their advantage.

17. gergil4

gergil4 New commenter

Yesterday my son was upset and told me the DHT had told him off and made him stand outside in the cold for 5 hours.
    How much of that did I believe?

18. Ruthie66

Ruthie66 New commenter

If she said it it was highly inappropriate, you know your son best, is it likely he has exaggerated or paraphrased what the teacher said or even made it up completely. If he isn't the sort who gets the wrong end of the stick or is prone to fibbing and he is upset by it I would ask to speak to the teacher to clarify the situation.

19. Why not approach it from a different angle and ask your son why he was staring at the other two boys. What were they doing?
    It may be that there was some sort of disruption caused by it if it has resulted in the teacher having to say anything at all.
    It's always better to find out that your kid has been a pudden in the comfort and privacy of your own home rather than when perched on a minature chair in a classroom trying to maintain an outraged face at another teacher.

20. whapbapboogy

whapbapboogy New commenter

I would really ask your child if he is telling the absolute truth and if he is, contact the school. An email to the head of house? I would also suggest you ignore some of the comments posted on here. In my experience, unfortunately some colleagues don't respond as strongly as they should do against homophobic insults, and it is possible there are berks out there who also use 'gay' as an insult, and they need to be told not to. I've read articles saying that the modern day use of the word is nothing to do with gay people (even being spelt differently apparently- gai) but until society changes to the point that children perceive being openly 'gay' is not going to affect their lives in a negative way, it's homophobic, and needs to be acted upon.