1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teacher, but no teaching work available?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by louisesw92, Dec 12, 2017.

1. louisesw92

louisesw92 New commenter

Hi all,

I'm currently working for an agency in the North-West doing day-to-day (though not consistent) supply while I look for permanent teaching roles. This is predominantly at SEN schools, though I've also done some mainstream.

Since the start of September, I have had a grand total of 5 days teaching work, with the rest (25+) being TA work. I made it very clear at the start that my priority is teaching work but that I was willing to do the odd day of TA work (wanted as many days working as possible!) but it's feels ridiculous now. I've shared my concerns several times now about the lack of teaching work, but the agency keep telling me they're very sorry, but have had no teaching work come through. They've said they've suggested me to schools for fixed-term/long-term teaching roles occasionally (maybe 3-4 since September), but I've never heard anything back afterwards.

I've been in a few schools where if a teacher is off, they will get the usual class TA to cover and bring in supply staff in a TA role to support them, so am unsure how much to believe the agency as I can see why they might not have as much work. I've had really positive feedback (from schools directly and the agency), so don't think it'll be to do with that.

Anyone have any similar experiences? Or any advice on what I could do now? Feeling very frustrated and disheartened!

pepper5 likes this.
  2. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Hi

You need a fresh start with some new agencies. Although it is tempting to take on TA work once you do that the agencies will try to take advantage. Keep the current agency, but join a few others and with the new ones only take on teaching work.

You will find something long term - just keep looking and applying.

Welcome to the forum.

peakster and JohnJCazorla like this.
  3. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

Agree with @pepper5, as many agencies as you can manage to fit in.

I'm registered with 6 and at any moment, 5 are useless but the last one has pulled something out for me. Catch is it takes time but if you devote a day (that you'd be unemployed anyway) you should be able to get round them all with passport/DBS/birth certificate... etc.

pepper5 likes this.
  4. cole1978

cole1978 New commenter

I have been teaching for 10 years. This term I have worked only 4 days. I have four days booked for next week. Don't take it personally ;)

pepper5 likes this.
  5. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Glad workmis picking up for cole1978. Four days right before Christmas is good.

6. louisesw92

louisesw92 New commenter

Thank you so much for your replies. Was hesitant about posting for the first time despite using this site for years!

@pepper5 and @JohnJCazorla, thank you for the advice! I'll take definitely look to joining more agencies and sticking to teaching work with them while staying with this one in the meantime - this one has been good, just been worried and bothered by the lack of teaching work. Will look to joining over the Christmas break as I'll be relocating to a new area at the start of January, so would probably be a good time to do it.

@cole1978, thank you - while I wish we had more work in general, it's reassuring to know it's not just me! Glad you've got some work for next week and hope it continues like that. The amount of work varies so much and I'm still trying to get an idea of when to expect/not expect work - think I'll get there eventually!

pepper5 likes this.