1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

teacher banned for life after lying about pupils' marks

Discussion in 'Education news' started by tonymars, Nov 14, 2017.

1. tonymars

tonymars Established commenter

kentonline.co.uk/medway/news/david-fitzgerald-banned-from-teaching-135070

Food for thought here.

Some might say that this is a transparently cosmetic gesture intended to give the erroneous impression that work on cleaning the stables has begun.

Isn't one teacher being scapegoated here?

Even I am aware of many schools or MATS which have been found guilty of lying and cheating. Even I am aware of at least two super heads who were being investigated for cheating /falsifying 'results' but who have mysteriously disappeared from the media.

sizakelendaba5 likes this.
  2. JaquesJaquesLiverot

JaquesJaquesLiverot Established commenter

This links in to the age-old debate about the purpose of the justice system. Is he being rehabilitated? Is he being punished? Is it a deterrent?

My guess would be that it's supposed to be a deterrent. Although it's only one teacher, I suspect that it's supposed to give the message that "it could be you!"

sizakelendaba5 likes this.
  3. CheeseMongler

CheeseMongler Lead commenter

I don't understand why he had to submit inaccurate marks if he also helped the students cheat and falsified the work... his first attempt at cheating wasn't good enough?!

cb324 and tonymars like this.
  4. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Lol. Yes of course.

This went on in schools across the land. Regularly.

A large number of teachers are sitting on stories and info that would probably end careers. I know I am!

slingshotsally and drek like this.
  5. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

one of my previous colleagues was recently banned. He was doing the same as everyone else, and in his case, significantly less so. The axe seems to fall totally at random

6. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

I actually feel sorry for this bloke.

The pressures in teaching are such that many do this to protect their jobs.

7. peakster

peakster Star commenter

We all have stories of cheating to tell I'm sure.

I have one that sounds ridiculous but is absolutely true.

Scintillant and drek like this.
  8. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

Our local high has, for the second year running, boasted on Twitter about how many of its A level pupils have got into Russell Group universities. They publish the destination of every pupil leaving the sixth form so it's easy to check. Even if you remove pupils who didn't go to university at all, their figures are wildly exaggerated. This year they quoted 'nearly fifty percent' when the true figure was 34%. I am astonished at their brazen dishonesty, but not sure how to complain as I no longer have a connection to the school. What is clear is that it's well worth having a go as you can make yourself look better and everyone colludes. Presumably there is someone on the governing body who can count!

drek likes this.
  9. drek

drek Lead commenter

Well OFSTEd cheat for starters. Their advice and the advice of CEOs of large chains to heads of schools that have large numbers of EAL and or low ability and or students who have to cope with terrible socio economic issues is to sack random teachers pretending to use the performance management system .....conveniently devised by themselves.

Above board?...........only in weird countries where people caught not smiling or crying with the right intensity on camera....are jailed for it!

10. wow

11. wow

12. sophrysyne

sophrysyne New commenter

It's not cheating if you don't get caught. Given the holy grail of 'results' is anyone really surprised that it's ubiquitous? A local school with some of the best national SATS results invariably had invigilators drifting slowly past each student, a finger absentmindedly resting momentarily on the correct answer.

13. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

my local school "allowed" internet access on mobile phones during GCSE exams last year ....."allowed" as in pretended not to notice. I'm amazed the whole structure didn't come crashing down about their ears, the kids were so vocal about it, but nothing happened at ll. Sooner or later someone will report something at that school, and the whole problem will be resolved with the sacking of some poor innocent.

tonymars likes this.
  14. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I really don't believe that happened.

15. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

whatever. I wasn't in the main hall, I was in the SEN rooms, where cheating was rife. However, have heard accounts from many students and several invigilators of what was happening in the main hall.

tonymars likes this.
  16. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Then the invigilators failed in their duty to report what was going on.

wanet likes this.
  17. peakster

peakster Star commenter

....and incidentally so did you. You saw evidence of cheating and said nothing - you're equally as guilty.

wanet and TCSC47 like this.
  18. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

If you've worked in a secondary school in the UK and have not seen cheating, you've done very well. It happened on a huge scale with coursework.

tonymars and dunnocks like this.
  19. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Tell me about it - although (hand on heart) I've never been in a department where anyone deliberately cheated.