1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teacher Assistant Portfolio

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by cdcc, May 21, 2009.

1. Hi Everyone.

I've just started my NVQ level 2 in Support Teaching and Learning.
    I wonder can somebody help me with that, i mean the Refelctive jounal, how to keep the folder updated...
    I had no induction im my school, and the teacher who i am working with never dealt with a students who is doing this certificate.
    Any samples of work, guidlines or web links will be great.
    Cheers

2. Hi Everyone.

I've just started my NVQ level 2 in Support Teaching and Learning.
    I wonder can somebody help me with that, i mean the Refelctive jounal, how to keep the folder updated...
    I had no induction im my school, and the teacher who i am working with never dealt with a students who is doing this certificate.
    Any samples of work, guidlines or web links will be great.
    Cheers

3. I'm in the process of completing that course right now. If by reflective journal you mean a personal account, where you observe a lesson and write about what you do, well.. that's exactly it! Do you have to cover tons of points (P's and K's in my case)? If yes, once you've done a few reflective journals/personal accounts it get's a lot easier. The beginning is so daunting.

4. Hi, I am a Teaching Assistant turned Nvq Assessor for Supporting Teaching and Learning in Schools. Your Reflective Accounts should be accounts of your real work activities. They can be about one session - e.g Literacy support. or spanning several sessions, to cover things you do regularly. The best advice I can give is to make them very detailed and relevant. You must link them to those little P numbers and K numbers in your Unit standards!
    It is quite common to get lengthy accounts about how lovely the children were ( or awful!) and how much the TA enjoyed it, but you have to state the obvious about what you did.
    The main things to make sure you include are: date, info from teacher/plans, what is the session and what are the learning objectives, what do you know about the children - IEP s/targets/abilities. Resources to use, strategies to use. Write what you did but use language like - questioning, demonstrated, instructed, modelled. Were there any problems? what did you do? did you have to change anything that wasn't working? report back to the teacher, deal with behaviour. Finally and this is important! evaluate your learning support session and write your conclusions. what went well, would you change anything, any concerns with children or your own skills.
    Phew! Hope that helps. It will get easier, but the more detailed they are, the less you will have to write.
    Are you attending college or being assessed in the workplace? Your assessor/tutor should be giving you guidance and support.
    Also observations that your assessor does of you working, should cover a lot of evidence.
    There has been a recent shift towards getting more witness statements from colleagues and fewer personal accounts. These should be written in a similar way.
    I will have a look around see what I can find but I am busy marking portfolios at the mo!
    Gilly

5. Hi, thanks for your valuable advice. I look forward to hear frm you soon regading any more information to help me get through the course.
    Regarding my assessor she will visit me next week, that's whay i a bit panicing.
    Again thanks alot.
    Sam

6. Hi thanks for your reply, i will work on the advice given
    Cheers

Sam

7. thank you for the advise Gilly.
    Is it important to explain much about the actual activity or just about your involvment and what you did to support learning? Hope that makes sense.

Im struggling abit!

Sarah