1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

teacher assessment v Test

Discussion in 'Primary' started by thehawk, Mar 5, 2011.

1. thehawk

thehawk Occasional commenter

My school moved from QCA tests in each year, twice a year, to APP only (NO FORMAL TESTS ALLOWED).

Is it me or is this going to be wildly inaccurate and based on judgements that will differ from teacher to teacher, and be unwieldy in trying to match up each other's judgements?

And then there are the children who show better in APP, as they can talk a good subject, but are rubbish in tests (and vice versa) and there Year 6 SATS test will be wildly different to their APP score that they have carried with them during year 3,4,and 5. SOme will test much higher, some much lower.
    And then, as my Performance Management is based on all my children progressing 2/3 of a level, wouldn't I be just plain stupid unless every child is awarded a level 2/3 higher than last year, regardless of how they have progressed. And it would be a burden on the teacher they have next year to put them up more, as they would fail their PM.

So all children in my class will go up 2/3 of a level. Everyone will be happy - children, parents, SLT, OFSTED. But it is just a paper exercise. It has no meaning and no worth. Thank goodness I am not spending any time on it!

And anyway, as I believe I am doing my job properly, the children will probably all make 2/3 of a level progress this year anyway.

2. thehawk

My school moved from QCA tests in each year, twice a year, to APP only (NO FORMAL TESTS ALLOWED).

Is it me or is this going to be wildly inaccurate and based on judgements that will differ from teacher to teacher, and be unwieldy in trying to match up each other's judgements?

And then there are the children who show better in APP, as they can talk a good subject, but are rubbish in tests (and vice versa) and there Year 6 SATS test will be wildly different to their APP score that they have carried with them during year 3,4,and 5. SOme will test much higher, some much lower.
    And then, as my Performance Management is based on all my children progressing 2/3 of a level, wouldn't I be just plain stupid unless every child is awarded a level 2/3 higher than last year, regardless of how they have progressed. And it would be a burden on the teacher they have next year to put them up more, as they would fail their PM.

So all children in my class will go up 2/3 of a level. Everyone will be happy - children, parents, SLT, OFSTED. But it is just a paper exercise. It has no meaning and no worth. Thank goodness I am not spending any time on it!

And anyway, as I believe I am doing my job properly, the children will probably all make 2/3 of a level progress this year anyway.

3. greta444

greta444 New commenter

In Wales we have been using teacher assessment for years. As long as there is good moderation in school and if possible, between schools, then there's no problem.

4. Well, I could be tempted to claim that the OP is a little unclear. APP assessments have to be based on work the children have done (should be unaided), assessments should be made on the evidence of several examples of work. I am no fan of APP, but all the evidence I have seen shows it to be reliable.
    As to PM. It could be argued that the OP was a little unwise to accept a target of all pupils making 2/3 progress over the year. Some might do better, some worse. As with all cohorts the progress measure will resemble a Bell Curve.
    Finally, I would fully agree with greta44.

5. thehawk

yes, but if there is no moderation.................

And, it is totally clear to me that some children will always do better in tests than in lessons, and vice versa. So some children will be tracked as being very good, and then do a bad test, and so on.

6. There should be moderation of teacher assessment.
    APP requires things being seen numerous times before you can judge a child secure in that area.

7. WE use APP with no formal testing until Year 6.
    ON the whole I find the teacher assessment to be quite accurate. I teach the Year 6 so spend sometime doing past papers (but it is frowned upon by the head and is only done sporadically). When is comes to the test, I have found that they match pretty much - the only difference is I have them as say a solid 4c and they come out as a 4b on the test but they are usually 'just' in the 4b with 1 or 2 marks which makes sense. Or my EAL pupils who on APP do very well but on a test don't due to the language issues.
    We do lots of modeerations, across phases, with subject co-ordinators etc so I am happy with APP (on the whole)

8. miss may

miss may New commenter

The bit I find tricky is showing evidence for some subjects. In writing it is straightforward to have unaided work to level. I am beginning to get to grips with collecting evidence for reading - although this quite onerous at times and quite subjective. The same piece of evidence could match statements at different levels. For maths I am finding it more difficult to actually record unaided assessments of work that is at a separate time from the teach. Yes we do investigations which can assess different concepts but recording the assessment is the bit I find difficult. We are now introducing APP for Science as well! AAHHH!