1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teacher alcoholism

Discussion in 'Personal' started by CheeseMongler, Nov 16, 2018.

1. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

I think that you will find many people will have a few drinks on a Friday after a hard week at work. :confused::confused::confused:

Provided its only on a Friday then you have no problem.

Just avoid driving the following day.

monicabilongame likes this.
  2. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

I am probably a bit of an oddity re alcohol. My father had an alcohol problem..... he drank every day.... not to the point of being blotto..... but it made a horrible man even worse. he spent a lot of money on it.... funded by my mother. I married a drinker. Over the years I got to know all the patterns. He was a binge drinker, claimed he needed to have a drink before he could be "sociable" (excuse) He mostly controlled it re working shifts but on his days off.... he would drink the beer bought...the trouble would start when that ran out.... and he would go in search of anything alcoholic to drink. If there was enough in...then would drink til he conked out. Next day...he wouldn't know what he had done or said after a certain point. I also knew the minute he had had a drink. His 3 sisters all had/have alcohol issues. His elder daughter too..... she is the image of his drinker type. Last Wednesday she and hubby came into our lounge to join in chatting with my friends who had dropped by. She was verging on paralytic. For the first time too I felt really uncomfortable as she so so looked like her father around the eyes and behaviour. I really didn't like it.
    So ...me. Well I have no problem with alcohol. I can go weeks, months even not having a drink. I do not get drunk. I always know what I have said and done...even if I drink a half bottle of whisky or a near bottle of wine. Because yes I can sink a fair amount if I feel like a drink. I will really enjoy a bottle of red wine....and when I was teaching I would prob drink 3/4 of a bottle on a Friday night - not that I needed it to relax... it was a bit of a habit....it was because I could.... no work the next day.... and I got to enjoy a few nice glasses of wine. I can drink quite strong cocktails when on a cruise.... rusty nail..... whisky and Drambuie,..... very nice :) I have even now learned to quiet enjoy a gin..... a drink I always had no time for but .... rhubarb and ginger gin is fab-u-lous! I now have a drink cabinet full of bottles of Jack Daniels, Rum and bacardi, whisky, Gin...... all sorts and prob in excess of 30 bottles of wine. Could never have any alcohol apparent when married first time round.
    I have felt at times that I would be fine if alcohol disappeared altogether.... it wouldn't essentially bother me. But... I am lucky..... my mother didn't;t have any problems with it...my younger daughter takes after her and me..... but as for my elder..... there is her father's real problem there...... :(

sabrinakat and monicabilongame like this.
  3. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Star commenter

Don't enjoy alcohol, so I rarely drink.

caress likes this.
  4. GirlGremlin

GirlGremlin Occasional commenter

Teachings turned me teetotal -I hate being hungover, as it means I can't get my work out of the way at the weekend. Lame? probably.

5. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

I look after my little grandchildren two days a week. One of the nights before, I used to join my husband in the pub and have a couple of pints. Soon discovered that alcohol and toddlers are not a good combination so dropped that one! On two of the other nights I have to drive so that's out too. That's why it's only Fridays at the moment.
    Having said that, I've always been a cheap drunk. I was a byword at Uni for blackout, and even fairly recently I've had a few occasions where I dont remember going to bed after 3 lg glasses of red. I'm always the first one under the table and the older I get the worse it's getting. I occasionally wonder if it might be breaking my brain. I do SoberOctober ostensibly for charity but actually I appreciate having an excuse for a month off.

6. sadscientist

sadscientist Senior commenter

lanokia and emerald52 like this.
  7. lovejoy_antiques

lovejoy_antiques Senior commenter

A job with phases of six or seven weeks of exponentially cranked up stress then a week or two's down time will do it every time!

8. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I never drink to forget or to cope.

9. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I spent evenings to dark fishing dry flies.

10. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Your liver has to clear the alcohol.

11. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Regularity is the first sign.

12. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Now and again it's fun.

13. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Is there a particular reason for the return of this thread?

14. SirPurrAlot

SirPurrAlot Established commenter

Probably just a bump in the night. ;)

15. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Worry.

16. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

17. CheeseMongler

CheeseMongler Lead commenter

I disliked it when this thread was resurrected during my end of holidayitis. It would have been easy to turn to the bottle to escape the building dread (I didn't!) I wouldn't have even thought of it if I wasn't reminded by seeing this thread.
    And if I thought of it, others must have too and so I'm sorry for any students who had a hungover teacher at the start of the week. This thread was meant to be about professional alcoholism. I would never do this on a school night.
    But it's Friday! Cheers!

18. CheeseMongler

CheeseMongler Lead commenter

Sorry @lovejoy_antiques , no offense to you, just wanted people to be able to find the time of the "resurrection". (Click the little up arrow on the quote)

19. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

I haven't been drunk for a year.

The best I've ever managed was 364 days.

sodalime likes this.
  20. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

I'm having flashbacks of the Talbot Arms tap room.