1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teacher alcoholism

Discussion in 'Personal' started by CheeseMongler, Nov 16, 2018.

1. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

I don't think it's purely a teacher problem. I do think the UK has a skewed attitude towards alcohol, perhaps in the same way as towards obesity - ie where what's considered normal has shifted considerably over time.

It seems to be nothing out of the ordinary to consume a bottle of wine in an evening, more at weekends or on nights out. When this is seen as normal it becomes a real issue I think in that people who drink to excess don't realise it's excessive because everyone else does it.

Slightly off topic, I know we're talking more about health effects but I sometimes wonder how much of the NHS budget goes on treated alcohol related incidents in this country, especially weekend nights. Falling down or throwing up seem to be seen as part and parcel of a good night out by too many people. It ain't healthy.

2. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

Teaching has always had its boozers. Half the science department at my first school used to pile into the HoD's 'Dormobile', and head toward the Paper Maker's Arms at lunchtimes to get as much down their necks as possible.

3. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

I drink a bit every week - sometimes below the limits, sometimes ' over ' - don't binge. C'est la f****** vie. ;):confused::eek:;)

ps. wasn't a teacher then, nor is MrSK:confused:

4. oceanroc7

oceanroc7 New commenter

I drank way too much for about a decade of my life. The reason was to stop the anxious thoughts and work- related dilemmas circling around in my head. They were stopping me from sleeping. I was hiding the fact that I could drink a bottle of wine every night and still drive to work and do a satisfactory job.
    I was starting to drink alone and secretly ( while marking books in my office) and to have difficulties hiding the empty bottles.
    I got a wake up call last year when my husband thought I’d had a stroke.
    I managed to stop drinking completely and since then I have lost a stone and saved £1000. My blood pressure is still ridiculously high but maybe I’ll make it to retirement in a job I frequently love without dropping dead.
    For me, stopping drinking completely is the only way and the best thing I have done in my life.

5. -LittleMiss-

-LittleMiss- New commenter

You would think the doctors would be more clued up, but they can be worse

6. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

There should be a Saturday morning poll on hangovers.:D

7. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

8. peakster

peakster Star commenter

That's not actually very funny.

9. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

It is - I'm both the teacher and the parent here, so I think it's funny :) (and put that on a note to my son's Reception class teacher's Christmas bottle of wine).

10. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Not funny when another member of my department attended the funeral of an ex- colleague of ours on Friday

The ex-colleague died from a heart attack caused by the stresses and strains of teaching and many years of heavy drinking to get over it.

You see - not funny

11. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

The answer to that is to find a cure for aging, so there's no need to reproduce. No need for teachers, so no alcoholism.

12. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Oh come off it peakster. It's an extreme case.
    "Why did the chicken cross the road?" isn't funny if your beloved pet hen got hit by a car this morning.

drvs, sabrinakat and InkyP like this.
  13. peakster

peakster Star commenter

You want to tell that to his kids then ?.

14. peakster

peakster Star commenter

One more thing before I leave this thread.

My Dad was a DHT who suffered for a few years with stress caused by the job. During those years he was a real pain to live with and he did sometimes drink too much.

F*****g hilarious

Goodbye

15. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

I wonder what this cockatoo would have to say if it got hit by a car?

16. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

I like a drink and on a Saturday night will drink till I'm good and tipsy.
    But I don't feel I have a problem, because for me, I will only drink if I'm in a pub, and then only if they have a drink that I like (i.e. Pints of cider).
    I don't drink when I'm at home ever. Even at parties we have when everyone else is enjoying a skinful. I don't drink when I'm eating so never at a restaurant or dinner party. I won't drink wine or spirits so if we go somewhere that doesn't serve pints, I'll stick to soft drinks.
    I really value my nights out in the pub, but it's not because of the alcohol, it's the social contact. I just like talking to people and meeting new people and working in a school where most of my day is spent surrounded by kids and coming home to kids and having to be responsible and adult all the time, Saturday night feels like a rare opportunity to be myself, not answer to 'mum' or 'miss' and talk to people in my age bracket.

sabrinakat and les25paul like this.
  17. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

Physical dependency on alcohol isn't funny
    Psychological dependency on alcohol isn't funny
    Emotional dependency on alcohol isn't funny
    Any dependence on alcohol isn't funny
    Jobs that put so much stress on people that they feel the need to blank out the anger, depression, stress, anxiety etc. with alcohol are not funny
    Alcohol related brain damage is not funny
    Liver disease is not funny
    Heart disease is not funny
    Cancer of the pancreas is not funny
    Drunk drivers are not funny
    Familes being destroyed by alcoholism is not funny
    Job and homes lost through alcoholism are not funny
    Death because of alcoholism is not funny

And at the same time, drinking is always a choice. Over-drinking is always a choice (unless you are physically dependent on alcohol in which case you cannot just stop, and you need medical help). There may be very good reasons for choosing to use alcohol, and at the same time it is always a choice. And there are other ways of managing stress.

Alcohol is used because it is comparatively cheap, it's socially acceptable and freely available. Your body accommodates and adapts through time so that you build up a tolerance which enables you to continue functioning and still drink. And then, eventually, it destroys you. And that's not funny.

I don't know the actual figures for teachers who are alcoholic, although I have met a few, but I do know that according to a 2014 study by SAMSHA (Substance Abuse and Mental health Services Association) the professions with the lowest levels of alcoholism and substance abuse include:
    • Police officers and other justice workers
    • Bank tellers
    • Teachers
    • Bookkeepers
    • Therapists
    • Laboratory technicians
    • Child care workers
    • Dental aides, physicians and dentists
    https://guardianinterlock.com/blog/high-drinking-jobs/

18. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

What do you find funny, monicabilongame?

19. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I have never taken drink because of problems or feeling stressed. I will have several this evening starting in about an hour. If I go to watch Ulster I will exceed the standard limit for units for men. On 14th December at our AGM and later at the Ulster match I will certainly exceed the limit. I am unapologetic.

20. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Reading this makes me want a drink or two or three, not because I'm stressed but because I forget the positive relaxing effects that lull me to sleep as I do it rarely these days.