1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teacher alcoholism

Discussion in 'Personal' started by CheeseMongler, Nov 16, 2018.

1. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Just about the best bit of PSHE I ever experienced was at a school where our year group had a talk by a lady who had once been Robbie Williams PA. Her father had been an alcoholic and she had followed him down that path before seeking treatment.

She spoke about her experiences for an hour - you could have heard a pin drop - it was utterly absorbing - the kids gave her a standing ovation at the end.

pepper5 likes this.
  2. lrw22

lrw22 Senior commenter

I was hitting the wine hard every Friday night and decided that I would take up running and run after work on a Friday rather than drink. It was amazing and a much better way of dealing with the stresses of the week. However, I eventually injured my leg and the wine consumption is gradually increasing!

install likes this.
  3. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Did you trip over an empty bottle ?

Shedman likes this.
  4. A_Million_Posts

A_Million_Posts Star commenter

It is unhealthy to find work so unpleasant you have to drink yourself into near oblivion every Friday. Using drink regularly to block out reality is a sign of dependency.

5. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

This sounds a very unhealthy approach to life...

pepper5 likes this.
  6. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

Yeah but, working with Robbie Williams it's understandable.

HelenREMfan and Shedman like this.
  7. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

You sound like a barrel of laughs down the pub.

8. lrw22

lrw22 Senior commenter

:)

9. Jude Fawley

Here we go!

10. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

This thread has made me feel guilty about having a drink. I will only have one, I am rowing in the morning.

pepper5 likes this.
  11. -LittleMiss-

-LittleMiss- New commenter

i dont see the point in getting **** faced personally

monicabilongame likes this.
  12. Jude Fawley

Wise move you don't want to start rowing now.

magic surf bus and needabreak like this.
  13. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

I don't think I've ever had a planned argument. The ones I've had just happened spontaneously.

14. CheeseMongler

CheeseMongler Lead commenter

Partly. If I were to work in a less stressful environment, would I be drinking like this?
    The only other times that I drink are when meeting friends or watching football. Admittedly, that does take up a fair proportion of my time outside of teaching, but it's my weekly binge that makes me ponder.

15. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

I went to my GP recently about indigestion. He asked wheTher I eat a lot of spicy food. He then asked how much alcohol I drank. I told him that I drank one or two glasses of wine per month, on average.
    His reply was, "One or two drinks per MONTH? BORING!"

pepper5 likes this.
  16. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

Will the row be about how much you drink?

17. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

I rarely drink these days although I always have beer and spirits in my drinks cabinet in my shed. I do like a nice G and T on warm summer evenings but these dark winter nights I just don't bother much. In my younger days I'd love the buzz and the uninhibited, invincible feeling I'd get after a few pints. These days all it does is make me want to go to sleep.

18. bevdex

bevdex Star commenter

My doctor reckons that you don't have a drinking problem as long as you drink less than him.:cool:

pepper5 likes this.
  19. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

For what it's worth, my only Uncle married into ridiculous wealth abroad and spent 6 months of the year living in a 5 star hotel in Amsterdam, but still managed to die from cirrhosis of the liver, as did his wife. I doubt if they dealt with anything like the stress a typical teacher does, but they were still getting hammered on a daily basis. I suspect it's more to do with personality than occupation, although maybe pub landlords are at greater risk than many.

install, pepper5 and needabreak like this.
  20. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

I'm not sure what it constitutes anymore. My "binge" Friday doesn't poke me over the limit but it does tick other boxes.
    *raspberry noise *