1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teacher (0.4) FTE - What does this mean?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by missplmoss, Jan 10, 2013.

1. Hi there I am looking at prospective jobs and I see teaching jobs advertised as (0.4) FTE and I don't know what that means. Could someone shed some light please?

Thanks in advance! x

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Hullo there! Confusing all these abbreviations - but once you get used to them you'll wonder how they could ever have foxed you!
    Now (0.4) means 40%.
    And FTE equals Full Time Equivalent.
    So, this is a part-time post where you work 40% of the week and get 40% of the salary. The best possible thing would be if that actually meant working 2 full days, and in Primary that may well be possible. But in secondary, it is harder to timetable someone for two whole days and them not have any contact with their teaching groups for the other 3 days, so it is more likely to mean that you are in and out for several part days.
    This can be a big pain!
    Best wishes