1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teach to the Bacc Protest

Discussion in 'Religious Education' started by SocratesSister, Jan 19, 2011.

1. As well as lobbying, writing to MPs, SACREs and the like. (I've also been commenting on lots of news sites below articles about the Bacc.)
    Howabout we generate a bit of publicity as I outline below? It could be fun and I don't think our students will be harmed - and we could promote it big, make a school event, call in the local press across the country and show how arbitrary these changes are. It's also good to do something different for a change.
    While RE is off the Bacc menu Ancient Greek, Biblical Hebrew, Hindi, and Latin are all included (under languages) . MFL also includes Arabic and Punjabi.

Many of us are Theologians or RS experts (and some like me are Philosophers). Lots of us will have some cursory skills in these languages. They are used in many religions. So why don't we teach to the Bacc? (I hope it doesn't Bacc - fire!!) Let's have an enrichment day where we put SOWs aside and do something interesting with Religious Language. I think students will respond well. It's something new ... stange foreign scripts and if done in the right way could be worthwhile.

Let's have a day of back to Bacc. Scriptural languages lessons. I'm sure between us we could get together a pool of resources of some fun interactive lessons, where the students would get something out of it and we could make our point. If we have supportive heads we could go a step further.

If it's not too late it could be done on April 1st. Our April Fools' joke would be to send out letters (with the April Fool's clue) saying given the standing of RE in the new school Bacc in RE lessons we will now be using our language skills teaching only Biblical Hebrew, Arabic, Ancient Greek etc according to the Bacc valued subjects.

Tell me if the idea is good or crazy or even do-able...

2. This time with paragraphs (forgot they don't work in Chrome!)
    As well as lobbying, writing to MPs, SACREs and the like. (I've also
    been commenting on lots of news sites below articles about the Bacc.)

Howabout we generate a bit of publicity as I outline below? It could be
    fun and I don't think our students will be harmed - and we could promote
    it big, make a school event, call in the local press across the country
    and show how arbitrary these changes are. It's also good to do
    something different for a change.

While RE is off the Bacc menu Ancient Greek, Biblical Hebrew, Hindi, and
    Latin are all included (under languages) . MFL also includes Arabic and
    Punjabi.

Many of us are Theologians or RS experts (and some like me are
    Philosophers). Lots of us will have some cursory skills in these
    languages. They are used in many religions. So why don't we teach to the
    Bacc? (I hope it doesn't Bacc - fire!!)
    Let's have an enrichment day
    where we put SOWs aside and do something interesting with Religious
    Language. I think students will respond well. It's something new ...
    stange foreign scripts and if done in the right way could be worthwhile.

Let's have a day of back to Bacc. Scriptural languages lessons. I'm sure
    between us we could get together a pool of resources of some fun
    interactive lessons, where the students would get something out of it
    and we could make our point. If we have supportive heads we could go a
    step further.

If it's not too late it could be done on April 1st. Our April Fools'
    joke would be to send out letters (with the April Fool's clue) saying
    given the standing of RE in the new school Bacc in RE lessons we will
    now be using our language skills teaching only Biblical Hebrew, Arabic,
    Ancient Greek etc according to the Bacc valued subjects.

Tell me if the idea is good or crazy or even do-able...

3. durgamata

durgamata Occasional commenter

I think that any creative and inspiring idea is great and do-able. I would love to support anyone in such a venture in any way that I can. not just Hebrew, Arabic and Greek. The Catholic Latin vulgate (?) would come into this along with a lot of wonderful ancient sacred Christian music, ~Gurmurki (the version of Punjabi used in the Guru Granth Sahib) and the Sanskrit roots of Hindi (which all the ancient Hindu scriptures are written in.) Can anyone think of a way we can include Pali for the Buddhist section (I guess that we could use Sanskrit again as some Buddhist scriptures were recorded in Sanskrit - but Pali is curly, like Tamil, if I remember rightly - and very beautiful.

I had an RE-Art club once and we wrote out a core scripture for the 6 major religions in their 'native scripts' with translations in the borders - in glass-paint - all on clear plastic panels which were then mounted on windows in the RE room. It was quite a stunning and impressive display that lasted for years. Indeed I think I still have a jacket with glass-paint decorations from where I tried to touch up one bit when it was mounted in the window. Not a good idea as it drips like anything.

At another school (a Muslim one) I was teaching art and gave all the year students a homework to take one of the Beautiful Names of Allah and write it in a decorative and decorated way. They were laminated and hung as a frieze all around the top of the classroom walls.

If anyone is inspired to do this I could research it again and rough out the designs - but I think it would take more than a day to turn them into good displays.

A club is great because only the well-motivated and well behaved students tend to stay for it. You can get a lot done in an hour and keep on, week by week, until the goal is reached.

We made a twelve foot long batik sea and block-print dragon-boat like that in another school. Each year 7 student designed a Dragon-Boat oars person - to look like themselves - and the best ones were positioned in the big boat. It graced the main corridor leading from reception for years. But I don't know how you could link that to the Bacc - unless it would be with a caption saying 'if RE is in the Bacc then it will take education forward to win the race. If it's not included then the Bacc is likely to make education worse - and the boat will capsize.'

I'm sure lots of people will have great ideas. But the difficulty is that they are in school, up to their eyes with the work required to jump through all the schemes of work and assessment hoops, with no time to develop their creative, imaginative and inspired ideas.

In contrast, I'm bogged down with my business at the moment, turning the Spanish translation of my card games into text on Adobe, a very tedious and uncreative activity - and lots more languages to follow. So if anyone would like to use my services to support some action on the Bacc, do give me a pm. I would leap at the opportunity.