1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teach, TA, or Learning Mentor??

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Happy Chappy, Feb 4, 2011.

1. Hi
    I really need some help. Have been teaching for the last 3 yrs in Year 1 I am considering doing something new. While my class are lovely and I work in a nice school most of the time, I can no longer cope with the workload and the affect it is having on my family life. The last year has been most hectic with things going on in my personal life- on top of the actual stress of observations, planning, assessments, Ofsted etc!!
    I have decided that whilst I love being with the kids- I would like to take a backseat- maybe a TA but really don't want all my training to be wasted. I was rated by Ofsted as good, but at the moment don't believe I am!! I am down a little, but really need to put my family first and make time for my own children. I have recently found a job advertised as Learning Mentor but am not sure what they do- can anyone help and let me know?
    Also if I hand my notice in (when is my official leave date- as job says start date of 26 April- and I was under impression that notice time was up till 30 April.
    Salary wise I will be taking a pay cut- how much will (17100-21100pa)pro rated be? hrs are 30.5 over 39 weeks- I understand this is split between 12 mths so you still get a salary in holiday months. Is this correct?
    Any help advice would be great.

2. Hi
    I really need some help. Have been teaching for the last 3 yrs in Year 1 I am considering doing something new. While my class are lovely and I work in a nice school most of the time, I can no longer cope with the workload and the affect it is having on my family life. The last year has been most hectic with things going on in my personal life- on top of the actual stress of observations, planning, assessments, Ofsted etc!!
    I have decided that whilst I love being with the kids- I would like to take a backseat- maybe a TA but really don't want all my training to be wasted. I was rated by Ofsted as good, but at the moment don't believe I am!! I am down a little, but really need to put my family first and make time for my own children. I have recently found a job advertised as Learning Mentor but am not sure what they do- can anyone help and let me know?
    Also if I hand my notice in (when is my official leave date- as job says start date of 26 April- and I was under impression that notice time was up till 30 April.
    Salary wise I will be taking a pay cut- how much will (17100-21100pa)pro rated be? hrs are 30.5 over 39 weeks- I understand this is split between 12 mths so you still get a salary in holiday months. Is this correct?
    Any help advice would be great.

3. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

If your authority considers full-time to be 37.5 hours, and pays exactly 4.8 weeks holiday pay, then £17,100 pro rata would be around £11,700. I'd reckon on about £800-£850 take home a month.

4. Andrew Jeffrey

Andrew Jeffrey New commenter

Tafkam - I just wanted to say you are always so helpful on these kind of questions. I wouldn't have a clue where to start with advice on this one!

5. Cervinia

Cervinia Occasional commenter

Seems a big step backwards, but one you're entitled to make. How easy are 0.6 contracts to come by in your area/school? May be more rewarding long term.

6. Thank you all
    I know it is a bit of a step backwards- but one I feel I need to make for my own health. I have considered speaking to my Head and asking about going part time which would be the perfect option, but one I feel may be rejected. Lots of things have happened at school and I don't feel like a valued member of staff. Lots of people have told me to teach elsewhere but at the moment feel very disillusioned with teaching as it's not about the children and the starting points at which they come and progress made over the year- but a system that looks to blame/and tick unnecessary boxes to make oneself/school look good!!!
    Part time posts don't come up that often at all.

Can anyone tell me what learning mentors do?? I do understand that these could be the first roles to be made redundant (as an unnecessary role in light of new Gov changes).

7. I'm sure you have probably been thinking about this for a while but thought I should mention it anyway...
    This term is always the worst for feeling exhausted, rubbish, over-worked, stressed etc. Did you feel the same last year/term? Try not to make any hasty decisions based on the horror that is the Spring Term!
    A different school can make you feel completely different about the same job - please don't under estimate this.
    Good luck with whatever you choose to do!