1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

teach or die?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Supernova_Scotia, Nov 1, 2011.

1. Please post if you can and let us know you are 'ok'...ish. There are lots of us who are or have been in similar situations and we do care. I have read your advice and supportive comments to others and hope you can find similar support in your time of need.

2. I understand those feelings Crabapple and experience them regularly. I have worked in difffernt jobs but have never felt as dreadful as I do now. I like your comments Eureka regarding stagefright, I think you have hit the nail on the head. I come over very confident at work and seriously cheer up when I am there. However can't wait to go. I want a job that doesn't mean I lose my temper ever and where I am treated better. Crabapple I know you must feel trapped as the hours suit and the money isn't too bad but imagine having a holiday and looking forward to going back to work. register with a job agency and try your best to get out. Many years ago I went to the job centre looking for work and I ended up working there myself. Go looking and good luck!

3. Is it not a worrying state of affairs when so many of us dread going back after a holiday?
    Whether that dread alleviates itself after a few hours/days or not?

4. I really think OFSTED, observations, initiatives and a constant demand to improve and do better is having a really detrimental effect on teachers' mental health. I know it did on me.

5. andromache

andromache New commenter

sorry to say i usually have a sense of dread when returning to school after half term or any holiday. i've been teaching since 1984 btw. it's not the classes or individual kids that worry me (amazingly i still love those parts of the job!), it's the management-speak target-oriented bullsh1t that saps the will to live.

6. lardylady

lardylady Star commenter

I never look forward to going back to work, but I console myself with that fact that it's never more than 7 weeks away until the next holiday. Not many people could say that, and they probably detest their jobs but don't get the luxury of 13 weeks holiday a year. If I really detested the job, then I would do something else.

7. housesparrow

housesparrow New commenter

Well put Robyn, "wonderful" new initiatives brought in by non-Science SMT who had no idea as to how their new teaching method would work with Science but easy to see where it could help in Humanities. Observational feedback always with that little kick somewhere in it of "could do better" and a 4 point grading system where satisfactory as the 3rd point out of 4 did not really mean satisfactory was the final nail in the coffin of my teaching career. I used to dread Sunday evening each week, it was not really the best way to live. There's never a day that I wish I was back.

8. Well, thanks for all the support. It's been very up and down gor the last few days, but i am begining to feel a bit more settled now. It would help if my line manager wasn't so unpredictble. He's not such a bad person, but not very good at his job, and whenever things go wrong, there is always this mad scramble to spin, lie, do whatever, to push the blame onto somebody else. Personally, I think life is so much simpler if people just accept their own mistakes and apologise, but it only works if everyone does it!

9. To those of you who might have been following my thread throughout the last couple of years, may know something of my story. Nealry three years ago, I was hit by a van emerging from a nearside turning, with the result that I broke my spine, some ribs and both arms. By the time I was reasonably fit, my job had gone and I was 'got-rid-off' on health grounds. I tried to get more teaching work but given that I was nearly 60, no chance. Then, just recently, I fell over a wheely bin, on my front path, and broke my hip. I am now pinned and plastered, and I can just about get about the upstairs of my house (the bathroom is upstairs).
    Having said all that, I have not been in full-time teaching for nearly three years and, now that I ave regained some perspective, I can see how pointless, crushing and sometimes downright vindictive, life in schools today can be. I might be a bit of a wreck physically, but mentally I feel I have recovered some of lost life.