1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teach Last - It's a thing! (Now Teach)

Discussion in 'Education news' started by palmtree100, Nov 20, 2016.

1. yogapookey

yogapookey New commenter

Ah! 'Health and Wellbeing' therein lies the rub :(

needabreak and Mrsmumbles like this.
  2. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

After that gob-chav's outburst, I think you should look elsewhere. Don't underestimate this sort of manipulative blame game boy or his stepfather. If you got a better post before results day, you'd be home and dry anyway and far less stressed. That school's loss.

yogapookey and needabreak like this.
  3. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Indeed as has been said many many times on these forums, it is a shame that not as much time, effort and public funding is put into retaining good staff once they are trained and in post as is spent on replacing them.

Interestingly in industry high staff turnover is a sign of a troubled organisation and is a measure of success or failure, not so in the public sector where the costs of recruitment and training are deemed irrelevant in the creation of replacements for those who burn out, while blame often still goes down the organisational hierarchy to individuals, without adequate exit interviews and reviews. It appears that this is preferable to addressing the core causes of high staff turnover.

Is there hope?

peggylu, lizgaskell and delnon like this.
  4. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

Sadly, no hope, nope. The nation of biddable drones and angry disenfranchised youth is upon us.

5. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

The piece in The Times this week had three points that perhaps need raising. She was quoted as commenting on high staff turnover - apparently we have one of the youngest teaching workforces compared to other nations because of the high drop-out rate after qualifying. So she makes the point that investing in training a 55-year-old is as valid as a twentysomething as their teaching life on average will be of similar length.
    She commented that the people she's recruiting will be encouraged not to go for promotion but to work as classroom teachers.
    And she says firmly that she will not herself work in the independent sector.

6. Bobbbs

Bobbbs Occasional commenter

So train someone with the expectation they'll leave?

Am I insane? Is this normal??

peggylu, delnon and schoolsout4summer like this.
  7. jazzed up

jazzed up New commenter

I think that she also mentioned in her Times interview that she hoped to negotiate part time teaching (3 or 4 days ) for potential candidates so they wouldn't be necessarily be full time.

8. needabreak

It's what TF was all about.

9. Bobbbs

Bobbbs Occasional commenter

I'm amazed people still want to be teachers. This country has one of the worst approaches to education I've ever seen for a "developed" nation.

Shedman, wordsworth, delnon and 2 others like this.
  10. JosieWhitehead

JosieWhitehead Star commenter

I'm a teacher of "yesteryear" (retired) and I don't think I could put up with all that you are expected to put up with in this day and age. I'll stay in retirement I think - although I really really enjoyed my years of teaching. Things were different then.

Shedman likes this.
  11. yogapookey

yogapookey New commenter

Thank you for the supportive comments. I refuse to be a 'biddable drone' and I didn't come from a high flying, high profile career.
    Good luck to those youngsters who need to pay back student loans, car loans etc. Drone on!

delnon likes this.
  12. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Interestingly we on here often hear only from those those are 'doing badly'..what would be interesting is to hear a bigger consensus of opinions.yes we have heard about statistics,but there must be many.or few..who find teaching life okay ..maybe? Are all schools/SLT/heads universally bad? Are they all rightly portrayed as poor leaders.....or are we in danger of creating conspiracy theories?
    This is not to say there are not problems.....but rather how far has the rot developed?

Anonymity and chelsea2 like this.
  13. needabreak

I am not sure it is the individual people who are being labeled as "bad" since they often are under instruction and the expectations are put upon them, but it is the poor systems for monitoring that are imposed on schools and the methodology used to assess school success, with it's ever changing goal posts that are innately "faulty".

peggylu and Anonymity like this.
  14. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

Hey-if you're as old as I am, you had this when you started teaching!
    Remember those days, when the vast majority of teachers kept on working (and enjoying their posts) until 60/65?

peggylu, Anonymity and delnon like this.
  15. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

Perhaps they work in grammars/indies (I'm not suggesting these are necessarily easier-I know some can be harder than some comps-just making the point that they MIGHT not have worked in the same schools some of us have).

peggylu likes this.
  16. Mr_Ed

Mr_Ed Established commenter

It always bugs me that if you go into any Dr's surgery, or A&E dept. there is a sign saying "verbal abuse will not be tolerated" etc etc. Yet schools never do this, why?

P.S. Yet again - another incident with a mobile phone being a key part. I have said it before and will say it again: "any UK state school allowing (i.e. not banning or forcing them to be locked away between 8.45am and 3.30 pm) smart phones, should immediately be placed in Special Measures, it is a safeguarding issue, pure and simple".

But it will never happen.

phlogiston and schoolsout4summer like this.
  17. dalesgirl

dalesgirl New commenter

I heard this on the radio yesterday and was flabbergasted. I am leaving teaching next summer, aged 57, because I no longer have the energy to deal with endless new initiatives, targets, curriculum changes etc, not to mention parents and pupils who are full of their rights. but don't take any responsibility.
    This woman is planning to start teaching in a challenging London school - I give her 5 minutes!!!!

18. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Could be some interesting public naming and shaming if the school she works in doesn't treat her with respect.

19. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Lead commenter

I think you have been watching to many films. Seat of their pants, snap decisions? Doesn't sound much like the SAS to me. They plan thoroughly, take calculated risks and avoid snap decisions unless impossible in other words they are professional.

20. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

unfortunately, our spec (BTEC) requires students to have internet access, and our school just does not have the facilities. Besides which, we need google translate open and available in most lessons