1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teach Last - It's a thing! (Now Teach)

Discussion in 'Education news' started by palmtree100, Nov 20, 2016.

1. shevington

shevington Occasional commenter

She will must likely go ,work in the private sector. No problems there with marking in different colours.

2. applecrumblebumble

applecrumblebumble Lead commenter

This person will end up as the new 'secret teacher' author in about 2 years should make a good read.

3. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

It's like a bad movie crying to be made: Carry On Teaching (Don't lose your job!)

Anonymity and stonerose like this.
  4. Mrsmumbles

God I could squash her into a little ball, then eat it!

5. Mrsmumbles

It's quite funny, really. For exactly the reasons you outlined above, I've quit and am going back to journalism and writing books. Silly lass has got it The Wrong Way Around!

peggylu, stonerose and phlogiston like this.
  6. Mrsmumbles

Well, no, but narcissistic psychopathic managers, bully deranged parents who have muddled up their kids' grades with the hedge fund yields they manage...you get a lot of that. And snobbery, cliques, and arrogant kids who would be expelled in five minutes flat in your typical zero tolerance urban academy. Grass is grass and roughly the same overall shade of green wherever.

palmtree100 likes this.
  7. PeterQuint

PeterQuint Lead commenter

I love the idea of someone nearing the end of a career in a high pressure job becoming a teacher so that they can wind down slowly and easily to retirement.

I'm still waiting for the punch line.

bevdex, Anonymity, peggylu and 6 others like this.
  8. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

I believe she is going to a 'challenging' school in London.

stonerose and PeterQuint like this.
  9. palmtree100

palmtree100 Lead commenter

I was going to say that this is probably what she thinks she is doing, something a bit more relaxing and nice short hours - 8am-3.30pm. What a shock she is in for!

stonerose and PeterQuint like this.
  10. moscowbore

moscowbore Star commenter

I heard the lady on R4 this morning. At first I thought it was a joke. So let me get this straight, successful, well off people are jacking in well-paid careers to qualify as teachers???? Still sounds like a joke to me.
    As others have said, why not just respect existing teachers ?

Do you think captains of industry might see the flaws in the way English state education currently runs?

11. blazer

blazer Star commenter

What he said.

Shedman, Anonymity, peggylu and 2 others like this.
  12. Mrsmumbles

Irritating woman! She's like the Tory neighbour of the Head who oops in three hours a week to teach a bit of French coz she fancied herself as a teacher, then slates all the full timers for not managing their workloads better. She is either doing book research or has utterly sold out.

13. Mrsmumbles

Sounds like the latest propaganda spewing from the Greening Machine think tank kids. Minimus the pig has been busy at his typewriter, trotters whizZing over those keys....

Shedman likes this.
  14. Mrsmumbles

I
    Maybe we could get Michaela School Tiger Teachers in on it....

15. Mrsmumbles

It doesn't run. It bodges, botches, and routinely collapses into a juddering wreck of mangled careers, image and student hopes.

16. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

I'm still seeing get Into teaching ads on my FB feed wholly and totally trolled by teachers. You would think people would be running for the hills.

And yet I am getting even more applicants than ever with: was always going to be a teacher and 'Inspired by my old teacher' being the bulk of them with a few career changers and the obligatory bursary hunters making up the rest.

Oh yes, to the lady who was a journalist, we already have courses for 'people like you' it's called 'any teacher education course'. You don't need a special charity with well remunerated trustees to convert someone into a teacher, even if they are only staying in teaching for a couple of years, before heading off to the city.

Shedman, Anonymity, chelsea2 and 2 others like this.
  17. teselectronic

teselectronic Occasional commenter

I agree Peter with your comment.
    I worked as an Engineer in both the private and nationalised sector, followed by a F.E. Lecturer with responsibilities and finally, as a Secondary Teacher with responsibilities.
    Having been offered directorship in Engineering and consultancy in Secondary Education, I want to offer my little bit of experience, (C/4 in Education). Secondary School Teaching is far more difficult and exhausting than anything I have ever done. What I can't understand is the way we our now treating our National Treasures, i.e. Teachers. I went into Teaching, like 'most' Teachers, to make a significant difference, not because I could not get a job, or to wind down.
    To conclude, there is a significant difference between wanting to teach and entering teaching; because of lack of jobs, or to wind down ready for retirement.

Mrsmumbles and needabreak like this.
  18. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Having had a successful career she and quite possibly her recruits will be in the somewhat enviable position to be able to walk away if the school doesn't suit, or indeed if the career is not for her. This is not something a state school career teacher would have found so easy to do if they had/have a mortgage or rent to pay.

@shevington is right she will more likely settle into a nice already successful private school and that would really be in her best interest to be honest, I have to add there is nothing at all wrong with that. Sadly I doubt she would last terribly long in a challenging inner city school; unless it is selective and already outstanding as a consequence.

As we know most state schools struggle with few resources, internet that "goes down" or is outdated and unfit for purpose within 5 years of installation with no hope of an upgrade. Cash strapped departments without the ability to purchase the new text books for the new specifications are a challenging environment within which to impart knowledge to meet the 1-9, and new A'level specifications, add value and meet current grade targets. That is without the ESL & SEN implications, and potentially having to deal not only with challenging behaviour but children from challenging backgrounds.

As someone who prior to teaching was in industry it is not only a steep learning curve but things in school are so unlike the functionality in the private sector. Things can to go to the wall when the internet fails, or SIM's decides it has had enough, when there are no textbooks to fall back on since the parents cannot afford to provide them when asked and the school cannot afford to purchase them due to rising overheads and stagnant budgets, the photocopier/printers stop working, or the toner/ink runs out ... these things are routine in school but would be rare in private sector companies.

That said the idea is an interesting twist on TF and certainly capitalises on the failure of the education system in all its glory.

19. yogapookey

yogapookey New commenter

Having completed my NQT last week with flying colours I will be 53 next month. While for the most part the students at my home counties comp are fine and the parents supportive, I was subjected to a mouthful of abuse yesterday from a parent who objected to the fact that I told his year 11 step son that he was in danger of failing his English GCSE . The man knew I had said this because his 'boy' recorded my lessons on his phone. He also attempted to make me answerable for why I didn't work today (I'm part-time) as 'you get enough f@**ng time off in the summer: you will be there tomorrow!'

I can afford to teach because, rather like Ms Kellaway, I am 'comfortable enough to care' both financially and domestically. At this age though I am used to having a voice about what is right and wrong: in a school environment one has no such entitlement unless SLT or a student.

I pulled back from resigning at Christmas because I didn't want to let down my GCSE classes. I could still be out by Easter though.

20. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Sorry to hear of your parental contact incident, you can rest assured you aren't alone. You could of course stay in education and eventually apply to be SLT thereby achieving the entitlement to make changes, however I rather suspect that even then you will be frustrated by the limits placed on school decision making by legislation and heirarchy; that is of course if you have not been indoctrinated into accepting the whole sorry state of affairs, or indeed decided your health and wellbeing were better served elsewhere.

Good luck in whatever you decide.

schoolsout4summer likes this.