1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teach Last - It's a thing! (Now Teach)

Discussion in 'Education news' started by palmtree100, Nov 20, 2016.

1. palmtree100

palmtree100 Lead commenter

2. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

teach-after-leaving-the-military is the current thing around us, ex soldiers as a whole can make reasonable pe teachers, but seem genuinely bewildered and confused by the attitudes they get in the class room....

still, as long as the fresh meat keeps arriving, no one seems to care how long it lasts, or even if it survives the experience

delnon, needabreak, stonerose and 2 others like this.
  3. johnberyl

johnberyl Occasional commenter

4. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

they haven't warned her off? Don't they like her?

5. Alldone

Alldone Senior commenter

I went in to teaching after a career in Finance and overseas in the Chem industry. But, I decided that Independent sector was the way to go, and I always had enough money to chuck in the job if I didn't like it. Retired after 28 years of teaching. I couldn't imagine the stress and everything that State school teachers have to put up with.

needabreak likes this.
  6. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

Teach Now?

I think you put your health at risk if you start teaching at 57.

Every couple of months we get a initiative like this. There was the Armed Forces to teachers initiative. The super teachers to target coastal sink schools. Now it's the wrinkly SAS.

0F67D4A200000514-3556423-image-a-77_1461514410475.jpg

These chaps above could do it. They aren't likely to be classified as older high flyers though.

7. catmother

catmother Star commenter

In Aberdeen, with the downturn in the oil business, we've had "getting oil workers into teaching". Aberdeenshire is now sending letters to retirees begging them to work supply.

stonerose and palmtree100 like this.
  8. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

I doubt they'd survive the rigidity & micro-management of many schools. Having spent their SAS lives flying by the seat of their pants, taking risks and making snap decisions, I can't imagine them responding quietly to being told how to mark and plan, nor sitting through endless meetings full of jargon.

Yoda-, bevdex, gingerhobo48 and 5 others like this.
  9. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

'The charity was set up this year to give established professionals in the business world an opportunity to “do something meaningful” when they come to the end of their careers, and avoid a "colossal waste of talent".'

As distinct from preventing 'established professionals' (i.e. existing teachers) from doing 'something meaningful' towards the 'end of their careers' and avoiding 'a colossal waste of talent'??? Which is what is happening in many schools.

10. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

Excellent idea! A good salary, healthy work-life balance, supportive SLT and sensible marking policies. Where do I sign up again after I retire.

11. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

Yoda, I salute your fantastic choice of satirical imagery! Every one you upload is funnier than the one before, and they invariably make my day! Big hugs

12. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

Just awful. Shoot me now. Actually, shoot ickle Lucy first. The idea of older people who should be looking forward to a deserved retirement entering a London classroom of chaos is a bit like rewarding the collapsing Boxer with the chance to build Windmill Three. Surely there won't be any takers. It'll be a case of Teach Now, Die Later.

Here's a RADICAL IDEA for our governmental gimps:

Treat and pay better the existing and PROPERLY TRAINED AND EXPERIENCED teachers who are already quitting and we will stay. I'm so left field, aren't I, coming up with offbeat and rarely considered ideas such as this...

tsarina, bevdex, Shedman and 10 others like this.
  13. Incommunicado

Incommunicado Occasional commenter

She'll soon be able to retire.

needabreak and stonerose like this.
  14. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Some interesting quotes from the Lucy Kellaway article:

“I think teaching is hugely important and I’m in the luxurious position of being able to take on the task."
    Luxurious? Interesting idea!

'Kellaway’s columns, poking fun at modern corporate culture, have long been regarded as a jewel in the FT’s crown.'
    'Her invention of the character Martin Lukes, an egotistical and obnoxious business manager.......'

There should be plenty of copy for her in a MAT school.

'“You could say I’m having my cake and eating it because I will still write for the FT. After all, there are long school holidays.”'
    Oh dear!

bevdex, delnon, sabrinakat and 6 others like this.
  15. peggylu

peggylu Star commenter

Her mum and daughter are both teachers. I wonder if they are cringing with embarrassment at some of these comments. She is delusional.

16. peggylu

peggylu Star commenter

Sorry. Make that delusional, insulting and patronising. :mad:

17. binaryhex

binaryhex Lead commenter

"She is delusional".

Couldn't agree more. Many teachers including young teachers leave because they haven't the energy to keep up with the huge workload, 60 hour weeks and dreadful behavior in UK schools. The idea that senior citizens approaching their sunshine years, who have worked all their lives in sane environments, would swap it for daily hell and a far better chance of an early grave is laughable.

Shedman, skeptucator, delnon and 5 others like this.
  18. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Speaking as an ex-teacher who retired just before my 57th birthday, perhaps this 'initiative' would be better if it was focused on keeping people like me in the job until we reach retirement age....?

tsarina, bevdex, Shedman and 15 others like this.
  19. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

People who have worked in supportive professional environments may find it difficult to adapt to the day in, day out frenzy of 5 hour long lessons one after the other, followed by meetings or "extra revision" sessions, an unsupportive regulatory structure, coupled with a management with low tolerance for errors.
    I'm not knocking journalists - good ones require a combination of using language, grasp of ideas, imagination as well as the ability to hit deadlines even more inflexible than ours. However they get thinking time.
    If she has any sense, she'll negotiate a part time timetable and use her contacts to find a nice rather than bog standard school.
    It's a shame to be negative. I bet she has a lot to contribute to education and a world view that career teachers have been unable to acquire.

needabreak and palmtree100 like this.
  20. stonerose

stonerose Occasional commenter

I think that this is the same Lucy Kellerway that I was listening to on Radio 4 who presented a series of programmes talking about how some office workers and managers were under-employed and time wasting; staying late at work to impress others that they were working hard, when they were just chatting, eating and drinking various beverages and a featured employee who was so bored out of his mind by doing nothing that he wrote a book!! So if she is really wanting a more challenging work situation she's coming to the right slog - I mean job!! If she is able to choose her territory and go to somewhere leafy and non threatening, she may even end up liking it and achieving job satisfaction. Still, I would like to observe her at strategic points in the school year (and in some of the years after that) with difficult students, parents etc., Ofsted, observational feedback sessions. Please add to the list!!

In my extended family there are quite a few teachers and I had considerable advice and guidance when I started my career including opportunities in the overlap of school holidays and college to try my hand at volunteering. Still it was a surprise when I had my own first full class and the weight of expectations and responsibilities on my shoulders. All of us in the family were of the same generation and were encouraged by aspirational working class parents to train as teachers for what was then called a 'profession'. At the end of my professional life in the state system, I was heartily sick of government initiative after initiative that was precipitating a downward spiral around me of motivated talented teachers who were steadily jumping ship or becoming too ill to do it any longer. My family members likewise

However.... the next two generations of the family have not followed us. (Wise souls.) Yes they took teaching qualifications but made it clear that it was as a last resort job choice if other options did not pan out. The 'if-all-else-fails' choice. The answer 'why' will not be a surprise: they had seen their parents slog evenings, weekends and holidays (not having time or energy to attend to their own children's needs); parents that were often too tired and parents who were so hard-wired into their 'teacher thinking' outside the school situation that even trips such to a book shop were more about professional research than inspiring their own off-spring in to the reading habit. As one younger cousin said to me 'I want to have a life!'

I await with interest our newest recruit!:)

peggylu, delnon, sabrinakat and 3 others like this.