1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teach Languages in the US

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by mexicano, Feb 14, 2011.

1. Hello,
    I have read very carefully all the posts regarding how to obtain a VISA to work in the US.
    For those who are still wondering just go in the "search sections" of the website and you shall find all the information you can possibly dream of!
    Before embarking in this long and tedious process, I would like to know if any of you had experience in teaching Languages in the US?
    I am fluent in both French and Spanish (Spanish is my preferred language though) and I was wondering if languages teacher were on demand in the US?
    Ideally, I'd like to work in a bilingual school (English-Spanish).
    I was wondering what it was like for languages teachers since I suppose that, just like my British fellows, the "Gringos" must not be too keen on learning a foreign language.
    Thought I'd better ask before spending a lot of time (and money) for nothing.
    Thanks in advance for your answers!

2. Arepa

Arepa New commenter

Thanks for doing your research before writing. It helps establish your credibility and seriousness.
    There are bilingual private schools scattered across the USA (Spanish-English and French-English). Most, if not all, of these schools are IB. You would probably need IB experience to apply. In addition, VIF hires Spanish language teachers. Several of my Colombian faculty have spent a pleasant two years in the USA working for VIF.
    It would help your application if you could teach another subject, such as Math or History in Spanish/French. Even though teachers are being fired in the US, there is a shortage in many states of Spanish speaking Science or Math teachers.

3. Thanks Arepa for your clear and complete answer.
    The reason why I want to work in the US is actually to get closer to Colombia where my partner's family lives.
    I think I need more time to evaluate the situation properly and get more experience in IB (my current school is starting to offer it from next year, should be a good thing!). And I will follow your advice and try to get experience in teaching another subject.
    I will also have a look at education in Colombia but I am not sure the salaries are going to be as attractive...
    Thanks again for your help