1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teach in USA

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by MrMillns, Jun 19, 2011.

1. <font size="3">Hi,</font><font size="3"> </font>
    <font size="3"></font>
    <font size="3"></font>
    <font size="3"></font>
    <font size="3"></font>

2. <font size="3">Hi,</font><font size="3"> </font>
    <font size="3"></font>
    <font size="3"></font>
    <font size="3"></font>
    <font size="3"></font>

3. There is a lot of information on teaching in the US on here already - I would suggest you search for them and read these responses as some of them are very detailed. Be warned though, a lot of them are not very positive as it is very hard to move across and teach in the USA.

Do you teach any other subjects? I only ask because I would imagine it's hard to teach PE in the states as they have such different sports... I don't know though!

4. Nead2604

Nead2604 New commenter

I am from the USA and taught there for many years. I don't think you should be too hopeful for many reasons. You have to get a teaching licensure for the state you will be teaching, passing the PRAXIS, not to mention passing tests which include American History. Furthermore, you will have to teach football (American), baseball, and basketball as well as track and field and possibly swimming. Those are the leading sports in the USA. You will be expected to coach teams as well as general PE, and they play on weekends just like professional sports. Parents, schools and communities take it very seriously. Schools play other schools. In secondary schools these sports will be the way some pupils will receive scholarships to leading Universities. So it becomes a huge priority and big business. PE is nothing like it is here. There you will be a coach. Have you done any resarch on this?

5. Check out the British Schools. They have the British School of New York opening in NYC this summer. This is probably your best bet.

6. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Your best bet, Is22x, is not to mention a specific school, other wise the moderators will delete this thread!
    In any case, there have been a number of postings on this forum about BSA and what rubbish they are (and I don't mean the motorbikes).
    The OP wrote, "What are my options now?" I would say that you should try somewhere else.