1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teach in Seville

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by BigNat, Dec 3, 2018.

1. BigNat

BigNat New commenter

Hello!

I want to teach in Spain and to have an authentic Spanish experience. (Depite being able to earn more elsewhere)
    My preference is Seville but I'm aware there are only a few international schools.
    If anyone has worked as a teacher in seville I would welcome any advice. I have been teaching for 6 years and so have a wealth of experience. Is it best to apply to the international schools directly or perhaps do Tefl English teaching or private tuition instead? And if so would I make enough money to live?!
    Thanks in advance!

2. blue451

blue451 Occasional commenter

I haven't worked in Seville but know someone there and have worked close by.

The schools tend to pay the 'convenio' - the nationally agreed minimum for teachers. Cost of living in general (food, utilities etc) isn't low anymore, Rents in the cities have increased sharply in recent years. However, depending where you work, if you live in a small town/village near your school you could get much cheaper rents. Although there are some international flights from Seville, when you factor in cost of flights for visits home and holidays, you might want to factor in travel to Málaga and any hotel costs owing to flight times as well - it sounds petty but when you're scaping by on a lowish salary these things are significant.

(Mind you, if six years teaching can be considered a wealth of experience, a spanish salary could perhaps be conidered a king's ransom too. )

3. miketribe

miketribe Occasional commenter

I would recommend you do a search for "Sevilla" on this forum. There were some horror stories about a school there a few years ago. I can't remember the details, but they weren't pretty...
    Most of what blue451 says is true. If the school is paying you the convenio rate, it won't be high, and traditionally, small schools like the ones in Sevilla don't credit previous experience. The cost of living in Spain is still a good deal cheaper than England, in my experience, but rent and so on are a bot higher in Sevilla than in the rest of Andalucia (away from the coast).
    Public transport in Spain is MUCH cheaper than in the UK, and there are international flights into both Sevilla and Jerez airports.
    Convenio salaries are what thousands of Spanish teachers (with families) live on, so it is do-able but you certainly wouldn't be living in the lap of luxury!

4. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Established commenter

'If six years teaching can be considered a wealth of experience, a Spanish salary could perhaps be considered a king's ransom too.'

This made me smile because it recalled many applications I read in India. The buzz word was 'vast' and one heard it from teachers who had graduated all of twelve months previously.

5. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

If the OP wants an "authentic Spanish experience" than perhaps an international school isn't the place to start looking.

6. miketribe

There are a lot of "concertada" schools looking for English teachers now because they're claiming to be "bi-lingual"... They certainly aren't international in that most of the students are Spanish, around half the curriculum is delivered in Spanish and they follow the Spanish version of a national curriculum. This would be pretty close to an "authentic Spanish experience", along with scraping by on a convenio salary...

7. gulfgolf

It's not for me... horses for courses, I suppose.

8. miketribe

I wouldn't do it either! My daughter worked as an auxiliar de conversacion at one last year and it was not a good experience!

9. BigNat

BigNat New commenter

10. BigNat

BigNat New commenter

There's no need to be rude about the length of time I have been a teacher! I was trying to convey that I'm not an NQT and I have worked in most year groups therefore have a wealth of experience compared to someone brand new to the profession looking to relocate.

11. BigNat

BigNat New commenter

12. BigNat

BigNat New commenter

By authentic Spanish experience I mean by living within a Spanish culture in Seville than in a more touristy part of the country or as an expat in say Dubai.

13. blue451

blue451 Occasional commenter

Seville itself is pretty touristy really. Choose your spot wisely.

You'll go far with that positive attitude.

14. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Established commenter

I remember using the 'in my experience' tag to a colleague. I done two years. She'd done thirty. I still blush.

15. gulfgolf

I am fond of real experiences. Pretty sure most are!