1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

Teach in Scotland website - why teach?

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by anon4046, Mar 1, 2011.

1. The reality is that most people hoping to go into teacher training will have no idea of the state of teaching in Scotland - why? Because it isn't widely publicised that teaching is up sh*t creek here. Even though things have been bad for yeeears.
    Anyone who isn't a teacher can be forgiven for thinking things are dandy - and the kind of guff in the site you mention does nothing to illustrate how things actually are. The reaction from non-teacher friends of mine, when I told them edinburgh teachers may strike, wasn't sympathetic - again, because nothing's really publicised (the extraordinary budget cuts, the backlog of teachers out of work, etc)
    Teach in Scotland? Where? There aren't any jobs - the last one I applied to was a fixed term part-time position in the ****-end of nowhere. And the long-term supply person who the rest of us were blissfully unaware of got it (natch) I wouldn't have been that scunnered, but it was almost a three day trip for me to get there and back. Longer, for the other candidates who came from down south.
    This week I see there is one job advertised on myjobbiescotland for my subject. Temporary. Part-time. 0.3, or something stupid like that. In Aberdeen. That's it. I've made peace with tha fact I may always be a supply teacher - and that's fine if the work keeps coming. It pays well, and the stress levels are low. But if that dries up, then god knows what I'll do.

2. catmother

catmother Star commenter

How true! Anyone who has ever ventured on the "wannabe a teacher in Scotland" forum and dared to rain of their parade,has felt the full scorn of those who want to join our ranks.