1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teach in Hong Kong

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by enev93, Jan 26, 2019.

1. enev93

enev93 New commenter

Hello,

My partner and I are considering moving to Hong Kong next year. We both have 3+ years experience teaching in primary schools in Ireland and have Bachelor in Educations (4 years) from certified teaching colleges here in Ireland.

We are considering going down the international school route and was just wondering would anyone be able to offer any advice/insights into the likelihood of actually attaining jobs? Is it generally attainable like how a lot of people get employment for jobs in UAE.

Would anyone be able to recommend any schools to looks for. I have looked into the ESF system.

thanks

2. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

Along with Singapore, and Bangkok, HK are probably the most sort after destinations in the world. And remember, its the world you are up against. These places do get hundreds of applications for each position. Its not impossible, but i would suggest to widen your focus and look at a mulitude of destinations as you have limited teaching experience, and no international experience.

Best of luck

frogusmaximus and Helen-Back like this.
  3. wrldtrvlr123

wrldtrvlr123 Occasional commenter

As posted, it a popular destination. The big english outfit (which you specifically named, naughty, naughty) might be your best bet due to the sheer number of positions that they recruit for every year. We have applied a number of times with them (and I was actually offered a job once, which I had to unfortunately decline). Start a conversation if you are interested in some of the feedback I have received from leadership there over the years.

The odds are a bit against you but the rewards could be great, so by all means go for it.

4. epicrates

epicrates New commenter

Getting a job in Bangkok is much easier than in Hong Kong . Very similar to applying to Switzerland where I have worked - there were almost 1100 applicants for the job I got. Experience initially in the UK followed by some time in less competitive International Schools is highly desirable . Probably a good route now would be to work on the Chinese mainland where there are huge numbers of jobs in variable schools . Then apply to HK after a couple of years.

5. makhnovite

makhnovite Established commenter

There are far more schools in HK than just the ESF ones, new schools are being built and opened all the time but you wll need to do your due diligence. I would agree with other posters there are good schools in lots of places that are not HK, but it won't be easy.

6. lifeinthe852

lifeinthe852 New commenter

Hi
    First, congratulations on taking the first exciting step to moving abroad!
    Yes, Hong Kong is competitive, but really is that a good enough reason to not apply?
    There’s lots of different international schools in HK, so well worth having a thorough google - and if you want some more specific info, send me a pm.
    Good luck!

7. TeacherMan2019

TeacherMan2019 New commenter

I'd take you up on that PM offer @binza87 or if @makhnovite or @wrldtrvlr123 were feeling generous I'd love to hear their opinions as well!

8. krakowiak6

krakowiak6 Occasional commenter

Don't forget it's £30 for a meal for one in HK and beer is £8 a pint. Unless you eat noodles and coffee from the 7 11 that is. Also flights from HK tend to be high

9. StrangePanda

StrangePanda Occasional commenter

Not quite our experience of living in HK- I think it depends where you go. Lots of good value flights from HK around Asia and there are a number of competitive airlines between HK and the UK. Just avoid CNY for flights (or buy well in advance!).

10. krakowiak6

krakowiak6 Occasional commenter

Flights from anywhere in Asia at Xmas and CNY and the summer months are extremely high even flying from one Asian city to another. There may be some cheap flights available but it will have probably one stop over of many hours or something. I also found AirBnB extremely costly when I went to Taiwan, half as cheap as a hotel would have cost but still cost me £400 for just 2 weeks (a hotel was at least £800-£1000).

11. ToK-tastic

ToK-tastic New commenter

I think that 3 yrs experience is fine. After that box is ticked the understanding of, and enthusiasm for, the specific curriculum being offered is far more important. If I am choosing between 2 candidates, one of whom is experienced but lacks enthusiasm/innovation in our curriculum whilst the other has less experience but shows deep understanding of our curriculum, and an innovative approach to implementing it I'll offer the role to the latter (less experienced) candidate over the former. In my experience in HK & BKK there may be many people applying but there are relatively few who are able to demonstrate significant understanding of the curriculum (I'm in IB).

TeacherMan2019 likes this.
  12. TeacherMan2019

TeacherMan2019 New commenter

@ToK-tastic Quick question for you then ToK. (I'd send private conversation, but it appears neither of us has that capability.) If a teaching couple were to take a couple of IB workshops before applying - so they would have the curriculum knowledge, but no actual IB teaching experience - would that be a relevant factor? I've read what I can on the IB curriculum (the DP which applies to me) and it looks very very similar to a lot of the frameworks that we use here in Canada. Inquiry-based, formative assessment, essential questions, etc.

13. ToK-tastic

ToK-tastic New commenter

Yes, IB workshop experience would demonstrate commitment to the curriculum. Of course there are a whole range of other factors e.g. scarcity of teachers in that subject area, subject assessment role (eg being an Examiner), other subjects offered etc etc).

14. february31st

february31st Established commenter

The only prerequisite to teach IB is a "pulse"!

15. frogusmaximus

frogusmaximus Occasional commenter

Dear OP

Ask yourself these two questions. When your targeted schools look through their pile of 500 applicants,

1. Why will yours stand out?
    2. What opportunity will they have to bin it, as the slightest thing will be used to trim down that list . . . experience, nationality, photo, punctuation, letter addressed to the correct person, extra curricular experiences etc

One of my overseas adventures was in a small school in SE Asia. I kid you not but I was the only applicant. I later spent five years, and am now semi retired, in one of the most sought after locations in the world. I'm sure you'll understand my point.

16. starsunshine10

starsunshine10 New commenter

Hi!

I considered HK years ago but then visited as part of our backpacking trip. I loved it but remember thinking it wasn’t the right place for me to live and teach. It is really expensive! Have you been there? Any chance of a visit before applying for jobs?

17. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

A fat and smelly old hippo has sent you one of those silly TES Conversation things, enev93.