1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Teach in australia - help and advice needed please.

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by cazzy82, Aug 31, 2008.

  1. Hello all,

    Firstly I anticipate that many of my points/questions will have been asked at somepoint but I would really like some help, advice, direction. Im currently about to begin my 3 rd year in primary teaching, studied a 4 year BED. My boyfriend and I have been discussing a great deal about the prospect of moving to australia we are at a position where we have no children, mortgage etc, and both of us are feeling a little fed up with life and wanting to make a move to somnewhere new. For me it wil be first time in Aus but my boyfriend has visited the country on working Visa.

    He is in position of having been offered a job with sponsership, if he wishes to take it up. There leaves me I know I could apply for a skilled visa. But where can I research teaching in Aus, what would I need to do? Where can I find advice?

    As you can appreciate google brings up thousands of pages its a minefield!!! Suppose what Im looking for is some step by step directions to help me make an informed decison although I am becoming more certain that this is def for me. Please help me out!

    Thankyou in advancex

  2. Christopher  Curtis

    Christopher Curtis Occasional commenter


    Please start the name of my country with a capital letter. It does matter if you want to work as a teacher in it.

    I am a Victorian and I taught there for 33 years. I am astounded by how badly teachers are treated in the UK. The only aspect of Victorian education that is not better than in the UK is pay, and I am not certain about that either because the official exchange rates do not take account of the actual purchasing power of the different currencies. The top unpromoted teacher salary in Victoria, which takes 11 years to reach, is just over $75,500, enough to buy three new small cars. A nice home in the outer suburbs of Melbourne can be bought for five years? salary.

    So far I have read of large classes, high teaching loads, part-timers forced to come in more often than the days in their time fraction, part-timers forced to come in just for meetings, teachers with who see their classes only once a fortnight, teachers who have to write reports on 500 students, teachers who have to prepare lessons for the persons who cover them for their PPA because the school leadership is unable to organise a rational school timetable, unqualified people called cover supervisors taking classes for absent teachers or teachers whose timetables cannot be properly organised by school authorities and something called OFSTED which can actually send someone called an inspector into a teacher?s class, and on and on it goes. So getting out of the UK sounds a wise move for a teacher.

    The Teaching Australia website has a list of other websites and some other information of relevance:
    http://www.teachingaustralia.edu.au/ta/go/home/pid/418 .

    Registration by the Victorian Institute of Teaching (or the equivalent body in other states) is required for all teachers, including those who take ?cover? (called ?extras? here).

    Employment opportunities can be found via the Victorian Department of Education and Early Child hood Development.

    You should join the Australian Education Union and try to get to a school with a strong union branch as teachers will be better treated there.

    There is nothing like OFSTEFD in Victoria. We have not had inspectors for around 30 years. However, some Blairite officials have made their way to Australia and we are being threatened with some of their dumb ideas.

    The average Victorian teacher teaches about 50 hours a week, which is excessive. I used to do hours like that years ago, but in my last two years I cut back to something just over 40 hours.

    Prep to year 2 classes are generally capped at 21 pupils and average 20.7. Year 3 to year 6 classes average 23.4 pupils. Year 7 to 12 classes are generally capped at 25 students, while the average for English classes at those levels is 21.6 students.

    Primary teaching loads are limited to 22 hours a week. Secondary teaching loads, including extras (cover) cannot go over 20 hours, but hardly ever reach that level. The maximum in my last school when I was timetabler was 16 hours 48 minutes, not including extras, which are limited to 21 a year, while the average was 15 hours 45 minutes. This means teachers there had a minimum of more than 40 per cent of their class load as PPA, rather than the 10 per cent in the UK for non-NQTs.

    In Victoria, schools directly employ their own teachers. I think some of the other states have kept the more efficient system of central employment.

    Schools will vary, so take some care in selecting which one you want to work in. I don?t think there is even one in Victoria that is as bad as the worst English schools that I have read of on this site, but there are ones that are difficult to teach in, and there are others that are very pleasant.
  3. Christopher  Curtis

    Christopher Curtis Occasional commenter

    What happened to my paragraphing?
  4. Hi Cazzy82,

    I'm thinking of moving out there myself as my wife will be seconded in Perth for 2 years. I've done a bit of research myself - it's pretty hard to do as nothing seems as straightforward as it does when looking for a job in the UK. You really need to think about where you will be, and whether you want to teach in a state or private school.

    First of all, whereabouts are you going to be living? Oz is a massive place - Western Australia is vast and people can find themselves in very sparse, remote areas - just as a sobering eye opener take a look at the following link and scroll down to Brick Lane's comment and read from there.


    Whichever state you're going to live in will have different rules and regulations (and pay) then other states so look here and click on the right link as a start:


    These are the recommended sites for finding work (at least in WA):

    www.teachers.on.net and www.seek.com.au

    Hope this helps [​IMG]

  5. First, have just arrived in Melboure, I have to make it clear that the picture teaching over here is no where near as rosy as CC paints it. ... Yes covers (or extras) are more limited than in the UK, but you can be assigned covers 'in lieu' if a class is taken away for exams/ trips etc and this does not count towards your cover limit. From what I've seen so far most people end up with more cover lessons at my school here than they did at my previous UK school. Secondly, most timetablers are not as generous as CC and most people will work up to their limit (if they are under allocated they have to do extras or duties to make up the difference). The salary in the Government schools and the Catholic schools is centrally agreed and is pretty good (I'm in my 5th Year of teaching and earning $58,000 which equates to about 28,000GBP at the current exchange rate so it's more or less equivalent. The cost of living is slightly less than in south of the UK where I came from, but not by much.

    I'm not trying to sound like a winging pom, I absolutley love it over here. But I'd advise you don't move out expecting the job to be much easier and for more money as CCs post indicates. It's pretty much the same s**t different country.

    www.britishexpats.com is a great site for information on visas, other than that you need to decide where you're moving too for more speciifc advice
  6. Christopher  Curtis

    Christopher Curtis Occasional commenter


    Good luck in Melbourne. I don?t think of teaching in Victoria as ?rosy?, just much better than in the UK, though not as good as it was 20 years ago. My knowledge of UK comes mostly from this site where I read of things I have never experienced and of other things that I have rarely heard of here.

    You can be assigned ?in lieus? but only on the day you lose a class and only up to 80 per cent in term 4 when senior students leave.

    If conditions in your school are worse than they were in mine, I am not surprised. It?s because a lot of schools have weak union branches. But no secondary school should have teaching loads above 19.2 hours (including home groups and extras). Any school that does must have teachers who have collectively volunteered for it. The new EBA will lead to a one-period reduction in teaching loads in most schools if the teachers there are prepared to insist on it. You can find a lot of information at:

    The Victorian Government has just released a new Blueprint on education. It is one of the three most significant reports on education in the last thirty years, the others being the Blackburn Report, which brought us the low-standard Victorian Certificate of Education, and the Institute of Public Affairs?s Schooling Victoria, which set the damaging agenda for the previous government. The true significance of the new Blueprint, not noticed by the press in its coverage, is that it signals the long-awaited reversal of the market-based approach to education that has failed so badly since 1992. The Government is once again accepting responsibility for the education of all children and not leaving some to languish in failing schools while the market slowly closes them, but there is a downside, with its proposed importation of two UK ideas: short courses to rush high-achieving graduates from other fields into schools to ?teach? (without proper qualifications, so there goes my argument about needing to be properly qualified to be a teacher here) and academies. There is a chance that we can stop the latter.

    The actual report can be found at:
  7. Hi there,

    Have you seen our brand new 'Teaching overseas' section in the 'Careers Advice' channel on the TES website? We have an article called 'My life as a teacher in Australia' and lots more advice on teaching overseas.

    You can find it by clicking on the 'Jobs' tab, then click on the 'career advice' sub-heading, this takes you to the careers advice homepage, scroll down past the pics and you'll see all the careers categories including 'Teaching overseas'

    Good luck,

  8. Alou85- the first thing you need to do is get in touch with the Victorian institute of teaching (www.vit.vic.gov.au) and get registered, you can't do anything without this registration and even private schools and supply teaching needs registration.

    Once you are registered you can start to contact schools directly or via an agency. I used Smart teachers to help find my first job, but i did get offered a different one I applied direct to. Many schools prefer to employ teachers directly rather than through an agency as they then don't have to pay the agency so it works out cheaper for them (and they get to control who comes better). I don't know much about primary teaching, but there are jobs around so I think you'll be fine.

    Chris Curtis- I was just trying to set the record straight on a few issues. I actually don''t think the situation for teachers in Oz is much better than the situation in may schools in the UK- and I've taught in both so can do a direct comparison. There are some major issues with behaviour in some UK schools, and some headteachers or other senior staff bully and take advantage of their staff. This is not the case in most UK schools, and probably is the case in some Oz schools. Overall I think the workload is about the same, In oz there is less contact time, but you still have lunch duties, photocopying to do etc which have been eliminated in the UK.
  9. Hi cazzy82,

    This article https://www.tes.co.uk/article.aspx?storycode=6000147 is by no means comprehensive but it does give a very positive insight into one teacher's experience and also has a lot of good tips at the bottom as to how to go about things,

    Good luck!

  10. Nell06

    Nell06 New commenter

    I really want to get the ball rolling on going to teach abroad, preferably Australia, and am trying to wade through all the posts and links that are on here. What I really want to know is how long I should expect the whole process to take.

    Is the first step getting my qualifications assessed, or applying for a visa (or can I do these simultaneously).

    Also looking for advice on how to go about getting a job? Is it easier to just get supply work out there and start from there?
  11. Nell06, I am so glad you asked this, i thought i was going mad, trawling through repeat emails!
    I am in exactly the same situation really , I know that I want to teach in Sydney only so that helps.
    The NSW Gov website stipulates that I need to have evidence of the following (this may vary from state to state and you need to check the state you want to live in) :This is from their website:

    When you are ready to submit your application, make certain that you organise certified copies* of the following documents:

    • <li class="bodytext">evidence of the award of a teacher training qualification;<li class="bodytext">evidence of teaching method(s) (e.g. primary K-6; secondary - English/history; specialist - ESL or special education);<li class="bodytext">full academic transcripts of degree(s) or other tertiary qualifications;<li class="bodytext">evidence of the award of degree(s) or other tertiary qualifications;<li class="bodytext">birth certificate or other proof of identity;<li class="bodytext">evidence of Australian citizenship or <u>permanent residence</u> or <u>visa permitting employment;</u><li class="bodytext">evidence of change of name where any documents supplied are in a name other than the one currently being used; and<li class="bodytext">evidence of employment history, where applicable.
    I started filling in the application and it requested the below, so it seems visa status must be activated first.

    I give DET permission to confirm my Visa status with the Department of Immigration and Citizenship
    This is the website for the departmnet of immigration and citizenship (but youve prob already been here)
    this allows you to do a visa calculation. Looks like this is the first port of call.

  12. Nell (and any others wondering) the reason you're struggling to find an answer is because it depends on the visa type you are going for.

    If you're looking at a Working Holiday Visa- then you need to apply to the state education departments to get your qualifications assessed first. Then get the visa as that gets processed really quickly.

    If you're going on any kind of skilled visa you need first get your skills assessed by teaching australia, then apply for the visa and then when the visa is granted apply to the relevant state registration department.

    If you're going on a state sponsered visa you will need to register with them before you apply for the visa as they will assess that you meet their requirements before they will agree to sponser you.

    Does that help at all or have I confused everyone even more?
  13. Hi alou85

    Give me an mail on mail@hemispheresolutions.co.uk I am looking at recruiting teachers in Australia and the UK. Should be able to answer all your questions as I have been through the process myself

  14. Hi, I followed the PGCE course a few years ago, however I did not complete the essay components of the course due to personal circumstances at the time. The uni advised me at the time i was able to do this without informing me i wouldn't be able to emmigrate with only QTS. I now find myself in a rubbish situation of being unable to go Oz as I always planned. However I have recently contacted the Uni and they have said i can complete the essays and I would gain a PGCert, does anyone know if this would be acceptable for skill assessment over there??

    Thanks for your help!
  15. Hi, i'm currently looking into teaching in Australia. just wondering how successful it was for you as I notice this post was written some time ago.

  16. Hi there

    I understand you posted this a few years ago but as a secondary English teacher just starting the visa process, I wondered if I could send my CV to you? I am looking at moving to Adelaide.

    Many thanks

  17. This advice is sound and detailed - thank you! Although I think the comment about needing a capital letter for Australia is a little pompous, as you seem fine with using the acronym for the United Kingdom.
  18. flories6

    flories6 New commenter

    Hi, I really struggle finding the adequate Visa to go to Australia. As I have never been there I would like to be sponsored by a school but I don't know where to look up for a job like that. I am currently working in a school and I don't want to leave my job until I am sure I have one in Australia. But then I thought that maybe I could ask for a Working-Holiday Visa and look for a job while I am there but I am not sure! Could someone advise me on website where I can find a teaching job in Australia/Victoria?
    Thank you
  19. Wotton

    Wotton Lead commenter

Share This Page