1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teach French in Spain?

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by champagnecharlie, Feb 20, 2012.

1. Hi

My husband and I are considering a move from Scotland to Spain. I currently teach French and Spanish in a high school here and have 5 years experience . We would probably prefer to move to the south of Spain or canary islands and probably not in a big city . My husband has businesses here which will provide him with income so he doesnt need a job, although he may start a business there if things work out.

I don't really know where to start! Will I be able to teach languages in an international school? I also am qualified in Italian. Should I send speculative applications to schools in areas I am interested in or are recruitment fairs the best bet? Is Tefl/celta a good idea?

If I can't secure a decent job I don't think we'll move as we do need a 2nd income at the moment.

Any help would be much appreciated.

2. missmunchie

missmunchie New commenter

I think you would be better to offer French / Italian and mention the Spanish as an extra. International schools in Spain tend to use Spanish nationals to teach Spanish.
    There's no harm in applying, although this is the only MFL job advertised in Spain at the moment. That's just checking on TES, there may be more elsewhere!
    https://www.tes.co.uk/job/spanish-teacher-50089/
    You may find that some schools wish to use your skills at Primary level as well as Secondary.
    Good luck, the pay won't be great and I think you husband would really struggle to start a business here at the moment, things are pretty dire, over 5 million unemployed (including me) and living costs are quite high.

3. Hi Missmunchie
    Thanks for the quick reply! I will just have to keep my eyes open, but I suppose competition will be fierce (as it is here). Maybe we'll just stick to where we are and save up for a holiday home or something! I know unemployment is sky high, I think my hubby would maybe look at something appealing to tourists but not sure, as I say he has a guaranteed income already but he does top that up here with a bit of work as well. He wouldn't mind being on the golf course mind you!
    Do you send out CV's to schools or do you think it's a waste of time? I am hankering after a better climate the weather here has been atrocious especially for the past 3/4 winters.
    When you say the pay won't be great, how much is the average salary for a teacher? And workload? I'll be honest I am finding all of the curricular change in Scotland quite exhausting and as usual we are being given no time to do anything. The pressure is immense! I would happily take 10k less per year for a more manageable workload.
    Sorry for all the questions, just interested in your experiences.

4. miketribe

miketribe Occasional commenter

I think you'd be VERY lucky to get a job here at the moment. As missmunchie pointed out, we have 25% unemployment here, so no one who HAS a job will willingly leave it. Also, school here tend to hire native-speakers as language teachers. Most of the Spanish and French teachers I know are... Spanish and French.
    Yes, pay is significantly lower here. You'd be VERY lucky to clear 2000 euros a month...

5. missmunchie

Hello again
    Salaries vary from 1400€ to 2400€, you might get a bit more if you have more experience. This is for schools on the Costa del Sol, close to lots of golf courses!
    Schools I have worked in usually expect you to teach from 9 until 4 and maybe do one after school activity, plus parents nights, marking and meetings (about one a month on average). I would say you could get everything done during the week and enjoy your weekends and holidays, but I know every teacher is different.
    You could send out CVs to schools that interest you but don't be offended if you don't get a reply. I have sent out CVs for advertised posts and haven't heard anything from some schools.
    I left Scotland over 10 years ago to work here and often think about returning as I'm finding it hard to get work as a Physics teacher after having my children.

6. missmunchie

This is sadly very true. Plus there is no payscale.

7. Thanks so much for your feedback. Maybe I need to consider another country?

I will just keep my eyes open I think and see what happens.

Regards the teaching job situation here there are also very few jobs for language teachers and the new curriculum is leading to more 'choice' meaning some subjects suffer. It took me 2 years to secure a perm contract. Not sure about physics right enough but I do know a few folk who post in the Scotland opinion forum teach it and have been scraping by on supply.

Salary wise I am almost top of the scale and clear less than £ 2000 a month. The faculty system means duties that a pt once did are now split among the dept (ordering resources, dealing with exam arrangements, discipline problems, promoting the subject, trips) as well as reports marking parents evening and curricular development for CfE which we are given 10 hours a year to develop(!). I also run study support after school (free) and organise a trip to France every year as well as smaller outings throughout the year. However, grin and bear it may be the best strategy to ride the recession out. I would have recommended teaching in Scotland until a couple of years ago but not now!

8. missmunchie

One of best friends from University became a teacher a couple of years ago. She did one year in Scotland and is now working in Italy. She seems to enjoy it and is in her second year there. Her boyfriend is a teacher too.
    Thanks for the update on the situation in Scotland, it's really useful. I laugh now when I think of how I got my first job. I turned up for the interview and was told that all the other candidates had withdrawn their applications and the job was mine! Those were the days!