1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teach First expands into primaries

Discussion in 'Primary' started by gailrobinson, Apr 3, 2011.

1. Hundreds of primary teachers with only six weeks’ training will be
    injected into deprived areas from September following the expansion of
    the “mission-based” Teach First programme, it has been announced in this week's TES.
    Does this fill you with hope or with dread?
    Read the full story - Teach First expands into primaries

2. I think this is a good thing, as Teach First has made a real impact in secondary schools. This has been confirmed by an independent review http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-11743616. I don't see why it couldn't be applied to primary, and a successful pilot suggests it can.

It obviously has advantages and disadvantages like any teacher training route. But it is not as if they get JUST six weeks training. In many ways they have higher levels of support and training than on the standard PGCE. They are given a mentor that tutors them and they attend regular training sessions throughout their two years.

Yet, it is not the solution to all problems facing inner city schools. However, it's a fact that such areas struggle to retain decent teaching staff. Teach First provide a supply of hard working and talented graduates, who have attained success in their own academic careers. Whilst one's own academic success does not always correlate with teaching capability, it signals how dedicated and hardworking someone is. These qualities are certainly something that inner city schools can do with in their teachers.

3. What a load of ****.

4. inq

inq

At a guess James you could be a TA at the moment who will be doing a Teach First course.
    From the brief amount I have read about Teach First it is similar to a GTP but maybe with more initial support. I think this will be a very hard way into primary as subject knowledge is quite high across a range of subjects (phonics to L5 maths as a start) as well as dealing with 30 very young children to almost teenage teachers.
    If someone has a got experience in the classroom already then maybe it could work, personally I think when I started my PGCE I wasn't anywhere near ready to start teaching especially in behaviour management techniques.
    I think this TES article https://www.tes.co.uk/article.aspx?storycode=6024607 gives another perspective.
    As a teacher who has been teaching quite a while (OK I'm old!) I think that if I had a year partner who was doing their QTS via Teach First then I would need to be supporting quite a bit and the workload would not be split anywhere near 50:50.

5. who is James? (POST 1)

I DETECT AN INTERLOPER WITH HIS OWN AGENDA!!!

6. Waiguoren

Waiguoren Occasional commenter

Hundreds.
    Of "teachers". Or people who, presumably sincerely, want to be teachers.
    With six weeks training.

Well, I don't know much about it; I've read the article posted, and read the Wikipedia article. Would it be fair to say that these are unprepared teachers?
    So, the children lose, by getting unqualified teachers.
    The schools lose, for the same reason.
    The parents lose, for the same reason.
    The Teach First teachers will very probably lose - or will their "six weeks of training" carry them successfully through being dropped in some of the toughest schools in the country?
    And teachers who are looking for jobs lose, because said jobs are being soaked up by this fodder.
    Who is it who wins here?
    Those were my initial reactions. Does anybody know any more about it, or have a link to a good article?

7. lilykitty

lilykitty New commenter

Fills me with dread.
    Children have the right to be taught by someone who thinks their education is important, not someone who is taking a few years out before getting on with their real career. With more and more graduates struggling to find a first job in the current employment market, people who have no passion or real interest in education are going to take this route so they are at least earning a wage, pushing out PGCE and B.ed graduates who feel teaching <u>is</u> their real career.
    This programme encourages the view that feeling passionate about a subject is the same as knowing how to teach it. Quite often, the reverse is true. If you love a subject it can be hard to connect with people who don't see any of the appeal which is so obvious to you. This is where <u>teaching </u>skills come in to play!

8. Children should be taught by people who chose to be a teacher because it's their vocation, not because the government tricked them into it.

9. Waiguoren

Waiguoren Occasional commenter

I found this article, which has an interesting discussion attached.