1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teach abroad with non-teaching partner

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by EllieT29, Feb 26, 2011.

1. I am desperate to teach abroad - fed up with UK winters and also with the way things are going at my current school, but I don't know how easy this would be with a non-teaching partner. He's an electrician and having grown up abroad myself I'm aware that this is not considered to be a skilled job in many countries! We are also unmarried so I know that rules out quite a few places too! Does anyone have any experience of a similar situation where a move abroad has been a success?

2. I am desperate to teach abroad - fed up with UK winters and also with the way things are going at my current school, but I don't know how easy this would be with a non-teaching partner. He's an electrician and having grown up abroad myself I'm aware that this is not considered to be a skilled job in many countries! We are also unmarried so I know that rules out quite a few places too! Does anyone have any experience of a similar situation where a move abroad has been a success?

3. MisterMaker

MisterMaker Occasional commenter

If you want to move outside Europe with your partner, get married. If one of you think that you're not ready to get married, you're not ready to live overseas together.

4. I was told at my interview that it was advisable for myself and my fiancee to marry before going abroad due to getting visas. We thought that was the case anyway though so are quite prepared to do that. Visas can be difficult to get and it could mean your OH not getting one and not being allowed back in the country.

5. PM me - I looking for staff.

6. MisterMaker

MisterMaker Occasional commenter

[​IMG]

7. lol @ 'I looking for staff'

8. johnnersco

johnnersco New commenter

If you are looking to work in South America then it is far better that you and your partner marry. Judging by the poor quality of wiring here, I would have thought that skilled electricians would be welcomed. I do know that non teaching partners who have other skills can find jobs (depending on where you are) For instance, I have known of people who have set up their own businesses (a successful bar owner springs to mind), others who have written for local English language newspapers, others selling pensions and insurance and one who set up an art studio.

On the other hand I would say that it can be difficult for non teaching spouses: My wife is Colombian and she was unable to work when we lived outside Colombia. This can put quite a strain on a relationship, especially if hours are long and there is little to do outside of school based activities.

9. the hippo

the hippo Established commenter Community helper

Mrs Hippo teaches singing and piano, to individual students, so she has usually managed to find some work. No, absolutely she refuses to sing a certain song by Flanders and Swann.

10. Alphaalpha

Alphaalpha New commenter

?
    And why will Mrs Hippo not sing,"Have some Madeira, my dear?"

11. bigfatgit

bigfatgit New commenter

I prefer the parody of them on the Armstrong and Miller Show (ie "Knocking out a crafty one" or "The Train Song")
    Check them out on youtube!

12. Hi Ellie

It worked for us. In our old life in the UK my husband worked as an electrician/carpenter!

Some international schools will offer work for non teaching spouses/partners but not all. It often depends on the country. Type of work may be in boarding, teaching assistant, library, secretarial, marketing/publicity etc. My husband was offered a position as DT technician. (top tip: take your partner to your interview if possible - it will show your joint commitment to the venture and if the school is keen on you then they can meet him after your formal interview). Consider that it might be hard for him to find any other job, the more money you earn the better, it would give him something to do and he could meet and make his own friends. You need to consider what he will do if he doesn't work, can you afford it? Most packages will allow you to live on one salary but you may not be able to afford the travel, savings etc and standard of living you would like. Do you have mortgage or other financial commitments in the UK? You need to think seriously if you are both committed to this idea.

Hope this helps