1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teach abroad or NQT year?

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by andkav, Jun 25, 2007.

1. After just finishing a primary PGCE, I'm in the process of applying for NQT jobs. I realise time is ticking away & so am thinking is it worth my time teaching abroad for a year before returning to do NQT yr next year.

Any advice on whether the experience gained teaching abroad will stand me in good stead for when I come to apply for NQT jobs, or am I better to fight the rat race & try sort one out in the next couple of weeks?

Any advice much appreciated!

2. After just finishing a primary PGCE, I'm in the process of applying for NQT jobs. I realise time is ticking away & so am thinking is it worth my time teaching abroad for a year before returning to do NQT yr next year.

Any advice on whether the experience gained teaching abroad will stand me in good stead for when I come to apply for NQT jobs, or am I better to fight the rat race & try sort one out in the next couple of weeks?

Any advice much appreciated!

3. do your induction year before you even think about teaching abroad

4. Really?

But what if I can't get a job, I don't want to be in a position where I'm doing supply on a daily basis.

5. jubilee

jubilee Lead commenter

If you're teaching abroad, how will you be able to apply for jobs for next year?

Even supply work will be delayed on your return as you'll need CRB checks. Having been out of the country will also complicate the vetting as the CRB will not cover your recent past.

6. True, I hadn't thought about the CRB checks.

Hmm! Ok, thanks for your advice

7. You should also be aware that many countries require teachers to have experience (ie to have completed induction) before starting.

8. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Try looking on the Teaching Overseas Forum for advice.

The past posts seem to suggest that it's best to get your NQT year done in UK, partly because the best schools abroad won't take you if you haven't (so you may end up in a not-best school), and partly because you actually need the NQT year and all the support that you get.

In a school overseas you'll be thrown in the deep end, no NQT support, no NQT reduced timetable, precious little advice and guidance. After all, they're appointing and employing you as a teacher, and your colleagues won't expect to have to do anything to support you. Add to that the adaptation problems of a foreign country . . .

9. Do you mean to teach as you would be here, or do some TEFL work? You don't say....

10. impish

impish New commenter

I say go for it. Teaching overseas is such a good experience- people value the experience you bring back. I went overseas for a few years (Germany) and started my induction on my return. If you have just finished uni its a welcome break (like a working holiday, with the added bonus of extra travel.) The work in international schools is less demanding (IMHO) so you get to focus on your teaching skills, not paper pushing.

Have a look around, there is no time limit to complete your induction year (contrary to pop belief). If you start your induction year in the UK, you have 5 years to complete it. But then again there are extensions that can be applied for.

Hope this has offered a differing POV.

11. If you work in a forces or British school you can do your induction abroad as they work from teh Nationla Curriculum most of my friends have got jobs in Germany, Gibraltar or France and can still complete their induction. If you have no ties at home it is rather easy to get a job abroad through the right channels. We had a head from a forces school in Germany at our college begging for NQTs

12. Apologies for my awful typing errors there I was in a hurry ;-)

13. Hi

Following on from the first poster is it better to do supply work in the UK or teach abroad (if you're interested in this avenue).

Also, is it true that all overseas schools who accept NQTs are schools not worth working at?

I have finished my PGCE year and in the past spent half a year working abroad caring for a child as well as teaching in a foreign school for one month as part of my university course. Despite sending out over 30 applications I have had only two interviews and both headteachers have not provided feedback. I really like the idea of going to work abroad.

Thanks

14. invincible

invincible New commenter

You can do your NQT year in a British Forces school in Germany or Cyprus but you can't do it in any "British style" school abroad, even if it does offer the NC.

15. Definately do you NQT yr first. I have just completed mine and am off to Australia to teach in 3 wks - its one less thing to worry about when I return. Plus I imagine you would find it hard to teach abroad without completing your NQT yr first.

16. my advice would be to stay in the uk unless you are planning to go for over a year.

if you are still looking now is unlikely you will get a job starting in september. so if you start a bit later your contract will end a little later which may mean you are too late to start back in the uk for next september.

also you will have the expense of returning to the uk for interviews.

having said all that, i am looking forward to getting out of this country, but i would like the option of coming back some time!

17. Tigger1962

Tigger1962 New commenter

Most good international schools are looking recruit experienced teachers - you would stand a much better change of getting a teaching post abroad with a year's experience.

18. I have worked in several countries as an EFL teacher and it has been extremely beneficial to me! If you are based in Europe, you will be able to join pools, apply for jobs online and fly back for interviews. Although the pay is low, if you embrace the culture and learn the language, it could mean that you have extra skills to offer. There is a growing need for teachers with some EAL skills and experience (most teachers I?ve seen haven?t got a clue what to do and shove em in the SEN group) Why don?t you do a TEFL and add another string to your bow? You can often take courses overseas, where the college then help you to find work. You do need to watch out for rip offs though, so be careful.

If money, your age and time are all on your side, you should go for it. If you need to start a pension plan, then stay put.

19. hi,
    just in reply to your post, what channels would these be?? i am struggling to complete my nqt year in england.. cheers