1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teach a Skill

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Boosid, Nov 29, 2011.

1. Hi all,
    I have my Goldsmiths interview next week fpr Upper Primary PGCE and we have been asked to "Teach a Skill". We can teach any skill - it does not have to be related to the curriculum. We need to produce a written plan of what we are going to teach and prepare any resources that we may require. We will be teaching up to 4 other people and will have a maximum of ten minutes. We are required to leave our written plan with our tutor.
    I'm rather nervous about teaching a skill just because I want it to be fun, relevant and also demonstrate all your practical skills, like time management. I feel so much of this hinges on choosing just the right thing to present.
    I was planning to go for a skill that was really a bit more fun on the assumption that it is a test of how you teach something rather than what you are teaching. What do you think? My worry is that by picking something that isn't strictly educational that they may think that it isn't relevant despite that fact that they have specified it does not have to be related to the curriculum.
    I'm sure I'm just getting my knickers in a twist, but if anyone has any experience of this it would be great. I'm not looking for answers to what I should teach as I have a few ideas but I would like to hear people's suggestiong of what skills you they are likely to be looking for at this stage of the interview. I know a lot of places ask candidates to lead a guided reading session or talk about a KS2 book they have read so I imagine this is the equivilant sort of assessment so any experiences of these sort of interview taskis would be great to hear too.
    Thanks!

2. Hi all,
    I have my Goldsmiths interview next week fpr Upper Primary PGCE and we have been asked to "Teach a Skill". We can teach any skill - it does not have to be related to the curriculum. We need to produce a written plan of what we are going to teach and prepare any resources that we may require. We will be teaching up to 4 other people and will have a maximum of ten minutes. We are required to leave our written plan with our tutor.
    I'm rather nervous about teaching a skill just because I want it to be fun, relevant and also demonstrate all your practical skills, like time management. I feel so much of this hinges on choosing just the right thing to present.
    I was planning to go for a skill that was really a bit more fun on the assumption that it is a test of how you teach something rather than what you are teaching. What do you think? My worry is that by picking something that isn't strictly educational that they may think that it isn't relevant despite that fact that they have specified it does not have to be related to the curriculum.
    I'm sure I'm just getting my knickers in a twist, but if anyone has any experience of this it would be great. I'm not looking for answers to what I should teach as I have a few ideas but I would like to hear people's suggestiong of what skills you they are likely to be looking for at this stage of the interview. I know a lot of places ask candidates to lead a guided reading session or talk about a KS2 book they have read so I imagine this is the equivilant sort of assessment so any experiences of these sort of interview taskis would be great to hear too.
    Thanks!

3. Hi there,

I'm in exactly the same boat, interview next week for upper primary. My thoughts are that they've left it really open in order to se what you make of it.

I'm planning to do something fun and creative rather than curriculum based. I'm pretty sure that they are going to be looking at your manner, way of explaining things and time-management rather than your intellectual genius. As primary teachers it is essential that we are able to do fun things that are easily accessible.....so just going with that myself!

I think just choose something that you know you can achieve in the time. Enjoy yourself as much as possible and hopefully they'll like it!

Know that's nothing concrete but hope it helps!