1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

'Teach a one off lesson to year 1 children' Interview lesson help please

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by skills324, Jul 2, 2011.

1. skills324

skills324 New commenter

Have an interview on Weds where I have to teach a one off lesson on any topic or subject of my choice. They will be looking at my planning how engaged the children are and my assessment strategies.

Anyone got any good ideas/ starting points?
    Has anyone done anything similar in an interview?
    Any tips or advice?

Thanks in anticipation

skills

2. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

If the interviews are looking at a lesson where you can teaching <u>anything</u> that YOU choose, and are looking at YOUR planning and assessment, then it's an opportunity for them to get to know the real you - what makes YOU excited, how YOU engage children.
    Why don't you work out some ideas, and then post them on here so we can give you feedback, and suggest improvements.

3. skills324

skills324 New commenter

Thanks for your comment. I need to start brain storming some ideas. I was thinking maybe something to do with butterflies, learning about their life cycle then symmetry would fit into this.

just wanted some advice from anyone who has had to do a 30 min lesson beofre for an interview.

Thanks

4. But those people would say what worked for them, which may not be right for you. The joy or being given such an open brief is that you can use something that appeals to you, or which has worked well for you before. So, is that the case with butterfly life cycles? How would you present that so that it really engages the children? Would creating a dance appeal, learning a song, or using a story bag? I would steer clear of the Very Hungry Caterpillar, as it is likely the children will already know it. I think your first step should be to think about what you are confident with and have used successfully and take it from there.

5. I watched an interview lesson on designing a pair of pants from Aliens Love Underpants. They had to think about what their pants would be for, do a sketch design and label. She read the story first, we i thought dragged a bit but did show her ability to control the class etc. Hope you manage to sort something out.