1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

TEACCH tasks - inspiration thread

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by jumpingstar, Feb 28, 2016.

1. jumpingstar

jumpingstar New commenter

Hi All

Just talking on another thread about inspiration for TEACCH tasks and it was suggested to make a thread of what people already do as inspiration for others. Please comment with what you do. I will post below suggestions already given in the current conversation

2. jumpingstar

@senlady said:

I use a lot of matching tasks e.g. 4 duplo bricks in a particular shape photographed that the pupil has to make the same model of or matching picture to picture, or colouring a picture to match one that is already done.

Sorting tasks - sorting coloured objects into the right coloured bowl or sorting shapes into groups.

Practice writing of name, or if not yet able to write matching the letters of their name or for more able pupils a sentence to describe a picture

Fine motor activities eg threading or attaching clothes pegs to the side of a bowl or box

handwriting patterns.

puzzles - either inset or 2/4/6 piece ones depending on ability.

counting tasks - eg 4 bears in the bowl or 9 cars in the box

Alice1965 likes this.
  3. jumpingstar

At the moment I have done:

puzzles
    threading
    Letter tracing
    cutting and sticking sorting activities

I am just starting out with TEACCH and need lots of ideas!

4. senlady

senlady Senior commenter

@jumpingstar I notice on the other thread you stated that threading seemed too tricky for your current pupils? I thought I would follow that up here! It is worth noting that threading is a skill that has to be developed just as any other so beginning with a thread or string is actually very tricky! I usually begin with threading with something that does not bend - so pipe cleaners through cotton reels is a good one or pipe cleaners through (uncooked) tube pasta OR (uncooked) spaghetti through (uncooked) tube pasta. Then move on to something that is slightly more bendable but not like thread for example electrical wire (with the plastic casing on). This allows students to develop the hand eye coordination needed to manage threading in a simpler situation. Another good one is threading velcro through a d-ring (like you might get on a velcro shoe?!) good threading and life skill too.

Other activities I have used in TEACCH (by the way I should also say this is not always true TEACCH but activities I use in order to encourage independent work in a workstation working left to right with a clear start and finish!) include:
    'life skills' type activities such as zip frames and button frames and buckles.
    Matching photos of peers in class or family members or staff members or completing puzzles we have made by cutting up photos or matching names to any of those photos - these are great for beginning to bring relevance to the PEOPLE surrounding ASD pupils which is SO important.
    If letter tracing is too simple moving on to underwriting of key words is a good next step.
    With an older pupil I have done folding letters, stuffing envelopes and positioning stamps on them, this was beginning to prepare him for the possibility of employment and usable transferable skills.
    With one particularly challenging pupil the only thing we could find that engaged him was shredding paper and scrunching it up and so he worked in his individual time on tearing and scrunching tissue paper to glue into various areas to make a collage - we wanted to make his only enjoyment actually purposeful as well as prevent him from destroying all paperwork around him!

I guess it is about thinking out of the box sometimes - it doesn't have to be 'academic' in worth, key skills are so vital too.

5. sofia_sen

sofia_sen Occasional commenter

To add:

For numeracy:
    Matching objects and numerals. So a page with pictures of different numbers of objects and student has to match the numeral.
    Matching the correct numeral to face of dice.
    Putting 1, 2 or 3 objects in a cup with that number on it
    Matching big and small items in a folder task
    Identifying big and small items, using symbols
    Identifying less and more, using symbols
    Identifying tall and short, using symbols
    Identifying which one is different, using a symbol
    Puzzles
    Duplo blocks

Literacy:
    Matching identical pictures
    Matching not identical pictures. We use their own pictures or friends from class for this. So all head shots but taken on different days so the pictures are different
    Matching names to own picture + pictures of friends
    Matching identical and not identical symbols
    Matching symbols to pictures
    Matching words to pictures or symbols

Pre-writing sheets (tracing)
    Putting pegs on a paper plate

I am sure I have forgotten a few but these are ones I could think of now.

gomeoggle likes this.
  6. asdteacher73

asdteacher73 New commenter

Clip cards - putting pegs on initial letter sounds, rhymes, missing numbers - all sorts.
    Sorting by category - animals (farm animals, wild animals) vehicles, etc.
    Hole punch cards - use a single hole punch to punch out all the numbers in a sequence, all of a certain letter, all the words that say 'the' etc.
    Clipping pegs of different colours to a coloured base board.
    Sorting shades of colour (I use paint sample leaflets)
    Lego rhyming strings - stick rhyming CVCs on lego blocks, children have to find and clip together the blocks to make rhyming strings. Duplo blocks also work if lego is too small.
    Science - magnetic/not magnetic sort, soft/hard, sort by material.
    Folder activities (google 'file folder activities')
    Time - match written times to clocks or vice versa
    Photo album (slip in type) - put in shapes or words to trace on card where the photos would go, children write on the cellophane which can be rubbed off later.
    Step by step building or drawing books (DoToLearn) once children have been taught to copy the shape or find a block then turn a page to find the next step.
    Posting shapes, colours etc into tubs (sectioned so you can assess whether they've done it correctly) - I use loads of Pringles containers.
    Cube patterns to follow.
    Pinterest is the beset place to look for ideas.

gomeoggle likes this.