1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Tea - recently started tasting disgusting to me

Discussion in 'Personal' started by sideshow, Apr 11, 2012.

1. HELP! I have been drinking twinnings tea for a while. But it has started tasting horrible! I know that twinnings have changed their recipe, but this is more recent than that. The first change was that the tea would get an oily scum on the top - what causes that? Now the smell is so horrible I can't hold the tea near my face. Mr Side thinks I am mad he can't tell the difference. I know I have issues when the milk is turning, but is this more likely to be the water? And is there anything that I can do? Mr Side makes me cups of tea 3 or four times a day and it is really upsetting him when I pour it straight down the sink.

2. chocolateworshipper

chocolateworshipper Occasional commenter

You could try filtering the water first, if you don't already - may help with the oily scum on top (I am assuming it isn't because your kettle is scaly).

Otherwise - a change in taste and smell can have medical reasons - including pregnancy!

3. Was about to say the same thing...

I couldn't bear the taste or smell of Lady Grey when I was pregnant.

4. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Senior commenter

My first thought!

5. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Me too!

6. No pregnant. Just horrible tea. Been to the dentist recently too, so not gum disease. And the kettle is descaled recently. But I do agree the oil scum on the top is likely due to the hard water. Must be the water?

7. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Try a different brand of tea, see what happens then.

8. chocolateworshipper

chocolateworshipper Occasional commenter

Try making tea with bottled water. If there is no oily scum on top, it is probably the water that is the problem.

9. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

(Shudders at the thought of a life without tea)
    Change your brand of tea, filter your water, check you don't have newts in your water tank. De-scaling the kettle can alter the taste of the boiled water.
    I'm not a fan of Twinings, but had a box of their 1706 Breakfast Tea the other week, and it was ok. Dilmah tea is lovely. (Top shelf in Sainsbury's)

10. kittylion

kittylion Established commenter

Newts!! Can that really happen?

11. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Me too! [​IMG]

12. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Tea always tastes disgusting to me, that's why I drink coffee.

13. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

Pregnancy put me off tea for 5 months....

14. Thanks! I went to John Lewis today to have their tea and they had the oily bit on the top - must be the water round here. But it tasted nice. I will move to hot chocolate as I don't like coffee either. :-(

15. Went from drinking tea with milk and then one day any tea with milk tasted foul. Never been able to touch a cup of tea with milk in again.

16. If you are sure you're not pregnant then you could just start using bottled water. Or I sometimes notice scummy bits on tea when the water isn't hot enough.

17. Blimey sideshow...this is a <u>SERIOUS</u> problem!!!!! [​IMG]
    Must admit, I used to like Twinings Everyday tea...but went off it because the taste did change slightly.
    Oily surface on tea? Surely the oil cannot come from water? It has to be something to do with the fat in milk? Are you shaking it before using? Is it about to go off?
    Are you filling your kettle with fresh water every time? Water when boiled over and over (because there is some left in the kettle) doesn't make a decent cuppa.
    I'd try changing the brand of tea you use....see if that helps? Life without tea doesn't bear thinking about...I am very concerned. Hope things look up soon on the tea front.
    PS: I second the view that Dilmah tea makes a lovely change. I have Ceylon tea in one caddy and it's pale and very refreshing.

18. Not read the thread but I would say you are pregnant.

19. I honestly could not imagine not drinking tea. I'd also suggest trying it with bottled water and see what that is like. Personally, I am a big fan of Twinings English Breakfast. You could always try another brand as well...possibly not at the same time as testing the bottled water theory though!
    Still on a tea-related note...I tried rhubarb yoghurt tea (at least I think that is what the girl in the shop told me it was, it actually tasted like yoghurt coated raspberries) and it was really nice!

20. wiemaranerlover

wiemaranerlover New commenter

Last year I had a phase where tea tasted foul for about four months - hormonal but was getting too old to be pregnant! Can now tolerate it again but only if it's almost too hot to drink; anything cooler has to go down the sink!

Mr W bought me loose breakfast tea and a teapot - much nicer, but not always practical.

good idea of using filtered water in the kettle - will try that too.