1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

tea/coffee for staff?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by Msz, Jun 25, 2011.

1. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Our staff use safety mugs with lids the drinks are made in the unit kitchen.

2. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

I teach Reception and our children go out for morning play so we have our hot drinks then.
    We abandoned the afternoon playtime, but the morning is so long that we didn't feel it hurt for children to go out to play. It breaks the morning up quite nicely, and lots of children have brothers and sisters, or friends, in years 1 and 2 that they like to play with.

3. katycustard

katycustard New commenter

We either don't have a hot drink during the morning session, or if we have enough hands (students etc.) drinks are made in the staff room and put into a plastic box (an empty storage box) and carried into the classroom. We have cups with lids too.

4. Looks like i'll have to buy some mugs with lids. Good idea about the storage box as spills go inside. Thank you.

5. katycustard

katycustard New commenter

Don't forget though, that drinks will also mean you all need to go to the loo, and depending on where yours are that's another thread!![​IMG]

6. We have playtimes the same as the rest of the school, the children enjoy playing with older brothers/ sisters/ friends and we enjoy gossiping/ coffee/cakes in the staffroom ! win win in our school !!

7. Our reception goes out to play with rest of school. TAs are on a break rota to ensure nursery are supervised, so all get a turn in the staff room at breaktime.

8. we're allowed pee breaks! I've researched mugs with screw on lids £7.99 each so quite an investment as we have 9 staff plus students/ parent volunteers. Last time we tried using mugs I paid for them. Not doing that again.

9. I'm sure that your regular staff will buy their own on the understanding that no mug = cold drinks only. Students and volunteers might have their own or can be released to the staffroom for 15 mins.

10. We use thermos type mugs with lids, you can carry them around safely in school and that safe shelf until you get a chance to slurp! Very often it is still warm enough when there is time at lunch! Mine has been known to be drunk at 3.30 just about tepid (nearly!).

11. just brought mugs for my staff £2 in wilkinsons

12. We have the travel mugs with lids. We have a school set but these travel mugs can get quite grotty looking on the inside so most of the full-time staff have bought their own. All in different colours.

13. upsadaisy

upsadaisy New commenter

I used to work at a school that only the Nursery had their own playground and it was tiny! Reception went out with the rest of the school from day 1. And the teacher on duty at that school was always offered a cup of tea/coffee on the playground, uncovered!

14. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Senior commenter

The only time I have had accidents with hot drinks was when I used those thermos things with lids - because the drink stays really really hot for much longer than you would think!
    I also have trouble drinking from them without spilling stuff down my front or dribbling.

15. May2

May2 Occasional commenter

Bloomin Health and Safety! We just got our new thermos mugs today and I went to have a slurp before school and burnt my lips. I am used to drinking it in a normal mug a few minutes after it has been made when it is warm not still boiling!

16. We also have to use travel mugs, the idea behind them being they are safer than having a normal cup and should save money on tea/coffee. However there have been more spillages of tea and coffee since we started using them - screw top lids that look like they're on properly but they're not so they leak when your trying to take a sip and the cups are 'top heavy' so are easily knocked over by files/folders/books. To be honest i'd rather wait until dinner time and drink from a proper cup and not scald my mouth.

17. I work in a unit with at least 6 other staff per day-we do have hot tea and coffee without lids-never had a spill yet
    the drinks are made in staff room, brought into unit and given to each staff member who then keeps them on window sill-chdn know we have drinks and are careful around us and we too are very careful with the hot drinks
    never been a spill or a child splashed
    we appreciate out coffeee/tea-don't have a break-but do need a drink!

Lizzie Lou

18. I spent some time during my degree volunteering in an independent school. Hot drinks were not allowed out of the staffroom unless they were in a 'carrier' - these were usually deep ice cream tubs (taken from the kitchen!) or a washing up bowl. This way, if anything did get spilt it would just go in the tub/bowl and wasn't a problem. I spent time in the nursery where each member of staff had their own lidded cup which also seemed like a sensible idea.
    I have just completed my final placement where all hot drinks taken out of the staffroom had to be in a lidded cup - even in key stage 2. The only problem I found with these was a I burnt my lip on a cheaper model but found myself a nice one (which ended up only costing £2) in Sainsburys so it's worth looking around. It is important to remember though that these cups aren't leak proof, they just have a lid! The majority of them will spill when knocked and the lid will fall off if dropped. They also keep the drink hotter for longer so it can still be hot when spilt even half an hour after making it!

19. I was thinking 15 mins as rest of school have 15 mins morning break. Time to walk to staff room, make drink and gulp it down without burning mouth/.throat difficult to do in less time?

I think we'll have to go the route of mugs with lids. I want to get ones that have screw on lids- difficult to tell from internet photos. Bklacks haven't bothered to emial me back when I enquired. They probably thought I was suffering from OCD asking about lid fittings. Hate them myself they give tea a very weird taste.
    I've done a bit of stirring with my big wooden spoon suggesting we shouldn't have different conditions from other age group staff so everyone who has hot drinks around children should have mug with lid. Heh heh. I'm standing back and waiting for the arguments. Endoftermitis has hit staff big time at my school! Lots of irritable people.

20. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

We are all supposed to use lidded cups near children throughout school. The ones with plastic inside (provided by school) make the tea taste vile. I have my own stainless steel one from Blacks which is not quite so bad. I agree with people who say the tea stays hot too long, I invariably put it down to cool and then end up throwing the contents away hours later.
    I wish I had bought one with ceramic inside when I was in Canada a few years ago, everybody there walks or cycles around with a cup of coffee in their hand. they had really nice ones in Starbucks but I didn't think at the time.