1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Tea bread recipe

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by primarycat, Jul 11, 2015.

1. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

Does anyone have a tea bread recipe they particularly recommend? I have been asked to make some loaves, along with umpteen scones, for school.

I have made it in the dim and distant past and it was nice but I have no idea what recipe I used. I was thinking I might find a basic recipe, maybe add in more of a variety of dried fruit to soak in the tea such as dried apricots, but would welcome recommendations if anyone has any!

2. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

I made this a few years ago when Mr EGs grandmother came to see Harry for the first time since he was born. She has a strong dislike for me which she has always made very clear and once told me that her grandson marrying me and having children with me was one of the great disappointments of her life. However, when I gave her this to eat she was the politest and loveliest I have ever known her because she was angling for a second slice and I eventually gave her the second loaf (the recipe makes two) to take home.

www.bbcgoodfood.com/.../mango-tea-loaf-plait

3. primarycat

Thanks - looks good! If it charms the grandmother-in-law it must be a good recipe!

4. lapinrose

lapinrose Star commenter

I have a date and walnut loaf recipe.

5. primarycat

Sounds good. I made a couple of loaves with dried apricots, cherries, blueberries, currants and sultanas plus the scones for yesterday, they turned out fine.