1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

TDA - Train to Teach Event

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by Possible_Teacher, Feb 10, 2011.

1. Hi,

I'm attending the Train to Teach event n London on 11th March. Just wondered if anyone had been to one? Was it useful? How busy is it? Do you generally have to queue a while to get to speak to people on stalls?

A lot of questions I know!

Thanks

2. I went to the one in the science musuem last year and it was good to speak to the actual tutors that would eventually interview for a PGCE place. I was lucky enough to meet the course leader for the PGCE I have applied for this year. She then remembered me at my interview and knew my passion was there and I have a conditional place waiting for it to be confirmed! Its great as you have everyone that offers a course in one space with all the questions you might think of answered face to face. There are small queues here and there but its worth going!

3. EcoLady

EcoLady New commenter

I went to one at Stansted last year and found it to be very useful.
    Get there early to book onto the seminar sessions! The seminar on how to write your personal statement was useful.
    There is the chance to talk directly to the admissions staff of the Unis you are interested in. As a mature student planning a total career change it was particularly valuable, as we were able to look at my old qualifications and see how they matched up with current requirements. They were very reassuring :).
    I spent ages talking to a couple of Heads who were there too. They are full of informal advice about what they are looking for when they are recruiting.
    It must have worked as I now have my Offer at Cambridge!

4. I went to one in Birmingham last year and found it extremely helpful. I would get there as early as poss to get tickets to the shows and to get in any ques- there is alot of waiting around but it is worth talking to any universities you are considering applying for to find out exactly what they are looking for in their students- then it s easier to tailor your application.

K x

5. yes ive been to one. it was busy. you have to queue. useful ? nope, just write lots of letters to head teachers asking for some school time , whatever route to teaching you want to have lots of school experience to shove into their mouths. If you can do the Student Associate Scheme SAS - 3 weeks in school observing teaching. And be prepared for the enhanced 3 month CRB check wait even if you do get a nod of a day here or there.

6. Hi there,

I've never been to one before myself so it should be good. Although it will be after my interview.. i hope the info i get will keep me motivated in case i don't get through....fingers crossed i do though!!!!

7. <font size="2">Hello. I went to the one at the Science museum in London last year and found it really useful. I would agree with everyone else about getting there early as I was about 10th in the queue but there were a lot of people there! The sessions were good and it was good to hear other peoples experiences and what is expected of you during the course. The only thing I thought was bad was when I spoke to the universities that were there and asked about whether they would except my degree as it's not a primary curriculum subject and most of them said no. However, I had two interviews this year and have just accepted a place on the second one and neither of them mentioned my degree at all. So don't worry if you ask a question and don't get the answer you'd like to hear!
    It's a good day and they will give you lots of helpful info. Hope you find it useful! :0)
    </font>

8. Thanks for all the info guys. Really looking forward to it now!