1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Tayyip Erdogan

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lanokia, Apr 4, 2016.

1. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

Yet reelected with over 53% of the vote. A true man of the people, just carrying out the will of the people! :rolleyes:

2. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

3. JosieWhitehead

JosieWhitehead Star commenter

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has brushed off the plunging value of the lira and a rift with the US, telling Turks: "If they have their dollars, we have our people, our God." https://news.sky.com/story/recep-tayyip-erdogan-tells-turkey-to-trust-in-god-as-lira-falls-11468293 But - excuse me, but why do people have to march to be proud of their sexual status? Everyone has a sexual status don't they - even cats and dogs? I've never actually thought of being proud of mine - I've just got on with it.

4. Caoimhseach

Caoimhseach Lead commenter

I can't see the relevance to the article about Erdogan and monetary policy.

5. JosieWhitehead

JosieWhitehead Star commenter

No, I can't either. It was as if he was using 'God' as compensation for what has happened, and as if God is there for them more than for anyone else. You're so right.

6. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

So when Turkey does this you defend it?

Huh?

7. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

JL48 likes this.
  8. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

Note the eye roll. I should probably have used one of those upside down emojis.

Given the amount of ballot stuffing he usually gets up to, it must have been a massive victory!

9. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Looking back I get the tone now...

JL48 likes this.
  10. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Right now on BBC2 there is a documentary in Turkey... it'll be on iPlayer as well.

Right now it is showing the impact of Erdogan's war on the Kurds of the south east ... devastating footage... and the range of the police/authoritarian state that is modern Turkey.

11. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

What's your thoughts on them re-running the Istanbul election?

12. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Did they get the idea from the EU?

13. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

That it sounds about par for the course for a political operator like Erdogan.

He probably views Istanbul as his personal fiefdom after being Mayor there.

14. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

Cheap shot

It's also his home town. Must have hurt when he lost.

15. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I expect it did...

Though the same could be said for Trump in 2016... [he lost NY to Clinton]

16. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

Although NYC is not really a Republican city, whereas Istanbul has voted AKP from pretty much ever since the party was founded.

Last edited: May 19, 2019
  17. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Can I just check... are you defending Erdogan... just I responded on the Trump thing by the same criteria that you'd laid out in the earlier post... only for you to further try justifying it... least it reads that way.

So what if they've ''always'' won elections there? I'm sure there are many ''always Labour'' seats in the north of England... would that justify a re-election if they swing to the Brexit party say? Or should ''always Democrat" Rhodes Island have another vote if the Libertarian Party storms it next GE? [unlikely on that one I grant you].

18. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

no / hayir
    it wasn't meant that way.

My thoughts on Erdogan? Like many despots that have come to power through the democratic system, much of it is down to the way many countries are run by and for the urban upper middle classes. Whether you're talking Thailand and Turkey, or these days the UK or the USA, it's all about Chickens coming home to roost. Venezuela would appear to be another example.

lanokia and hope4thefuture like this.
  19. ConvivialCatMan

ConvivialCatMan New commenter

"Did they get the idea from the EU?"

Too close to the truth:)

20. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Cheers... was a genuine question on my part. Didn't want to misinterpret you.
    Interesting thoughts... especially as my understanding of Erdogan as he was based in the rural Turkish heartlands of Anatolia... not so much the urban middle classes.