1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Tayyip Erdogan

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lanokia, Apr 4, 2016.

1. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

2. red_observer

red_observer Star commenter

Erdogan is unhinged

lanokia likes this.
  3. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Well Tiny Tayyib is holding his referendum tomorrow... you know ... the one that caused riots in the Netherlands...

If he gets a 'yes' then his powers will rival Attaturk... a 'no' and he'll be limited to what he has at present.

The Yes campaign have dominated the media with widespread stories of intimidation.

Thoughts on the outcome?

4. vinnie24

vinnie24 Lead commenter

5. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Still got a love for authoritarians?

It appeals to a lot of people... someone to give them guidance...

6. vinnie24

vinnie24 Lead commenter

I do not love authoritarians. I was asking a simple question. If you don't know the answer then just say so.

7. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Voting today...

8. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Demanding aren't you... I know the answer. Try reading the thread.

9. NoseyMatronType

NoseyMatronType Lead commenter

There's a fascinating chapter in Tarek Osman's book Islamism that will answer that question for you.

Lanokia is correct on this matter as far as I can tell.

10. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

If i had better internet access i'd have a Google of dictators who've held referenda ... usually with 98% yes votes... I think Turkmenistan was one...

11. vinnie24

vinnie24 Lead commenter

So if he wins the vote he's rigged it. If he loses the vote its because he is unpopular.

I get where you are going.

Nice.

12. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

No opinion of your own? Come on, you must love this... he wants more authoritarian power... just your thing.

13. vinnie24

vinnie24 Lead commenter

I do not really follow what is going on in Turkey tbh. You seem pretty clued up though. However I would imagine that the Turkish people know more about Erdogan than you so I will watch with interest and respect the decision they make.

You're wrong about me and authoritarians by the way.

14. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

A list of referenda from a certain phase of European history...

• March 1929 – Italy approves single-party list for Mussolini’s National Fascist Party in referendum.
    • July 1933 – Hitler grants himself the power to hold referendums.
    • November 1933 – Germans vote to leave the League of Nations in referendum.
    • March 1934 – Italians confirm approval of single-party list for Mussolini’s National Fascist Party in referendum.
    • August 1934 – Germans approve combining posts of Chancellor & President in referendum.
    • March 1936 – Germany approve single-party rule & occupation of Rhineland in referendum.
    • April 1938 – Germans approve single list of Nazi candidates for Reichstag & Anschluss with Austria in referendum.

JL48 likes this.
  15. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

And there was the 2014 referenda held by Putin in Crimea to legitimise his illegal annexation.

16. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Yes, living in a country where journalists and opposition figures are regularly locked up and social media sites restricted suggests a free flow of information, doesn't it?
    o_O

JL48 likes this.
  17. vinnie24

vinnie24 Lead commenter

So are you saying the Turkish people are clueless about what is happening in their own country?

18. Calpurnia99

Calpurnia99 Star commenter

There has been considerably more media exposure for the Yes faction than the No.

19. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

If you are unsure of what I'm saying, I suggest you read the post again and then remember that google is your friend.
    :D

20. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Are you suggesting a country where newspapers are state controlled or shut down, where websites that insult the leader are blocked and where journalists are imprisoned ... is one where the citizenry can have a clue what is going on?

Flere-Imsaho likes this.