1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Tayyip Erdogan

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lanokia, Apr 4, 2016.

1. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

I find it strange that people are still putting so much trust in a superstate that openly spends public money funding totalitarian states

2. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Ah, yes.

The great 'you scratch my back' quid pro quo tug of war that's taking place between the EU and Turkey. A superb example of horse-trading in the global market though.

Give me money. Let me join your club.
    Keep the Syrians.
    OK, give me more money or I'll stand on the beach and wave them bye-bye.

3. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Cards on the table...

I'm not anti-Turkey... I studied the Byzantine Empire [arguably Greek as well I know] at university, their history and culture fascinates me... I want to go there on holiday and explore... and I think Turkey would be a valuable member of the EU, in time. I see no reason why a Muslim country can't join the EU. They just need to be richer and more democratic. Just as we said for the East Europeans [and should have said for the Greeks going into the Euro]

But not under Tayyib [and possibly any successors he puts in place]... under him Turkey is moving away from Europe and emulating the despotisms of the Middle East. It's re-engaging in the very ethnic conflicts that tarnished it's reputation in the 20th century and engaging in repressive activities that shame them as a country.

4. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Interesting piece of spin in this BBC report...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-36466744

Now it's perfectly possible it was Kurdish militants... a people under concerted assault from the Turkish state... but Turkey has also suffered attacks at the hands of ISIS of late... and yet the BBC makes a speculative statement which completely misses any chance of an ISIS connection.

GLsghost likes this.
  5. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

Tarnished? What 'tarnish'? Nothing happened. That's why the documents relating to the thing that didn't happen were destroyed. The photographs are fake. The eyewitness accounts are fake. Those bones could belong to anyone. Total smear on the Turks.That's why the Turks still maintain that the thing that didn't happen didn't happen. Because it didn't. And if you say it did, you'll get death threats. That's how didn't happening the thing that didn't happen isn't.

T0nyGT likes this.
  6. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Took me a moment to get what you did there...

7. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

Did what? I didn't do anything. Nothing happened, I tell you.

8. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

How much is Tayyib paying you?

9. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

Not enough. Maybe I should go work for the Japanese? There's a lot of things they never did too.

10. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Must be a market for rewriting History books in different countries... I should tap into that...

11. silvaran

silvaran Occasional commenter

I don't agree that Britain is a superstate but I agree with you that it spends hundreds of millions of taxpayers pounds to fund corrupt and totalitarian states including Sudan, Somalia, South Sudan, Libya, Somalia, Syria, Iraq, Afghanistan, Pakistan, north Korea,,,,,,,,

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...rld-revealed-Camerons-target-finally-hit.html

12. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

Winston Smith's job...
    upload_2016-6-7_21-40-45.png

13. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

41 dead... 239 injured ... [odd no mention on TES, lots when it was Paris and Brussels]

Still, blame falling on ISIS... and rightly so... but blame should also be apportioned to Tayyib, who's government has been supporting ISIS right up until recently [even going to far as to bomb Kurdish groups that were making gains on ISIS]...

14. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

On that theme

[​IMG]

15. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

Whilst I abhor beyond all description the policies and actions of Erdogan, the responsibility for this atrocity lies squarely and only with those who committed it.

16. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

But not those whose actions have aided and helped them over the last three years? Who funnelled funds and weapons to them? Who attacked groups fighting them? Who let numerous jihadis cross their border to sign up with them?

17. Didactylos4

No
    Who was responsible for the atrocities across Europe?
    Would you say hat the Govts of those countries were "responsible" because their actions triggered the attacks?

There are triggers for such terrible things but the responsibility for them lies solely with those who organised and carried them out

18. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

So supplying weapons, funds and fighters... that isn't 'organising' to you?

Turkey has materially assisted ISIS...

19. Didactylos4

The Americans and the Saudis (to name but two) supplied weapons and technical support to the infant Al Quaeda Lan

Giving help to the enemies of your enemies is always foolish and sometimes criminally dangerous.

20. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Indeed... and in my mind are partly incriminated in the actions of that group ... not 100%, I'm not absolving any terrorist of anything... but as I've said, the government of Turkey has given material aid to ISIS...

Anyway, ISIS has yet to claim responsibility... could be a Kurdish group...