1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Tayyip Erdogan

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lanokia, Apr 4, 2016.

1. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

I am trying to think of any other world leader, present or past, who feels the need to self-praise.......

2. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

I'm not sure how much oil you're importing these days, and how much money you're making from the region. The involvement was never about altruism.

3. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

I agree.

4. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

To my knowledge America is oil self-sufficient.

5. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Whereas no Kurdish fighters ever lost their legs, eyes, or life doing The West's dirty work fighting IS in Syria.

If it wasn't for the Kurds fighting on the ground I bet there'd be a lot more maimed and dead western troops. Wars aren't won on air superiority alone, however much Tom Cruise would like us to think otherwise.

If Trump rattles Erdogan's cage too much there'll always be other autocrats waiting in the wings to help out.

[​IMG]

6. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

Didn't used to be. Maybe that's part the reason they're pulling out? Obama's push for fracking seems to have pulled off!

7. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

8. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

America is an oil exporter these days.

9. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

Yeah, the Kurds are fighting for what's in their own best interest. I want America to do the same. Not fighting endless wars on behalf of Israel or Saudi Arabia or hypothetical Kurdistan.

10. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

There isn't much oil under Syria. It ranks below the UK for reserves.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_proven_oil_reserves

Is it really impossible to imagine that the USA fought to defeat ISIS because it was the right thing to do?

11. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

Probably the real reason that Obama didn't go in ;-)

ISIS was also in Iraq. They have plenty of oil :)

[​IMG]

12. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

The only figures I've seen show that it still - on balance - imports slightly more than it exports. However its reliance on overseas oil is certainly significantly diminished.

13. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

artboyusa and JL48 like this.
  14. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

We were discussing Syria. Only two of the Iraqi oilfields are contracted to US companies [Zubair and West Qurna]... as many as Angola. And one less than China.
    Right...

15. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Erdogan didn't hang around....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-49983357
    Turkish warplanes have bombed parts of north-eastern Syria at the start of an offensive which could lead to conflict with Kurdish-led allies of the US.

Turkey's President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said the operation was to create a "safe zone" cleared of Kurdish militias which will also house Syrian refugees.

According to the Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF), civilian areas came under attack from Turkish planes.

Turkish ground forces have also been massing on the border.

The offensive was launched just days after President Donald Trump controversially withdrew US troops from northern Syria, a decision announced after a phone call with Mr Erdogan that sparked widespread criticism at home and abroad.

So will Trump do anything? This is what he said he would do:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-49966216
    President Donald Trump has threatened to destroy Turkey's economy if the country goes "off limits" following his surprise decision to pull US forces out of north-eastern Syria.

In a series of angry tweets, Mr Trump defended his move, which could open the way for Turkey to launch an attack on Kurdish fighters across the border.

Following accusations from US Kurdish allies they had been "stabbed in the back" and criticism from across the US political spectrum, Mr Trump sent out more tweets later on Monday, warning Turkey not to take advantage of his decision, saying he could "destroy and obliterate" its economy.

Last year, the US raised tariffs on some Turkish products and imposed sanctions on top officials as relations between the two Nato countries worsened over a number of issues.

Later when expanding on his "off limits" tweet, Mr Trump said Turkey should "not do anything outside of what we would think is humane".

He also said there would be "big trouble" if "any of our people get hurt".

In a statement, Pentagon spokesman Jonathan Hoffman said "the Department of Defense made clear to Turkey - as did the president - that we do not endorse a Turkish operation in Northern Syria".

lanokia likes this.
  16. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

You can't discuss one without the other - particularly when referring to ISIS. They rather famously took down the border posts between the two countries . . .

17. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

That doesn't make them to same place.

The USA had an operational relationship with the Iraqi government... it didn't have such a relationship with the Syrian government. Legitimising the actions of ISIS to support your point is, in my opinion, not a wise path.

18. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

So I heard - the article I posted above mentions it. It also consumes a lot more.

19. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

Who's doing that ?

20. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

No, but if you are going to 'defeat ISIS' then you need to look at both countries as a whole. The infection was cross border.